Cavaliers Suffer 4-1 Loss to Ohio State in NTI Semifinals
CHARLOTTESVILLE – The second-ranked Virginia men’s tennis team suffered its first home loss in six years, falling to No. 3 Ohio State 4-1 in the semifinals of the 2012 ITA National Team Indoor Championships on Sunday at the Boyd Tinsley Courts at the Boar’s Head Sports Club. The Cavaliers (7-1) suffered their first loss of the season, while the Buckeyes improved to 12-0 on the season.
With the loss, Virginia had its school-record 94-match win streak snapped. It was also the Cavaliers’ first loss at the ITA National Team Indoor Championships since a 2007 semifinal loss to Georgia, as UVa entered this year’s event as the four-time defending champions.
Ohio State took a 1-0 lead by winning a tight doubles point. The Buckeyes took a slight edge as Devin McCarthy and Ille Van Engelen topped Alex Domijan (Wesley Chapel, Fla.) and Steven Rooda (Amersfoort, The Netherlands) 8-6 at No. 2. Virginia drew even as Jarmere Jenkins (College Park, Ga.) and Drew Courtney (Clifton. Va.) upset the nation’s top ranked team of Chase Buchanan and Blaz Rola 9-8(2) at the top spot. Ohio State clinched the doubles point at No. 3, where Peter Kobelt and Connor Smith edged Mitchell Frank (Annandale, Va.) and Julen Uriguen (Guatemala City, Guatemala) 9-8(5) at No. 3.
In singles, the match remained tight as all six first sets were decided by 7-5 or 7-6 scores, with Ohio State winning four of the six. The Buckeyes doubled their lead with McCarthy’s 7-6(3), 6-0 win over Justin Shane (Falls Church, Va.) at No. 5. Courtney made the score 2-1 with his 7-6(5), 7-5 win over Van Engelen at No. 4. Seconds later the OSU lead was back to two at 3-1, as Kobelt edged Frank 7-5, 7-6(6) at No. 3, handing the Cavalier freshman his first loss of his career. The final three matches went into the third set. At No. 2, Rola took advantage of a late break to down Domijan 7-5, 4-6, 6-3 and seal the Buckeye victory.
The ITA National Team Indoor Championships conclude Monday at the Boar’s Head Sports Club with the final between No. 1 USC and No. 3 Ohio State. Match time is noon and admission is free.
The Cavaliers return to action on Sunday as they visit Virginia Tech.
#3 OHIO STATE 4, #2 VIRGINIA 1
1. #12 Jenkins/Courtney (UVa) def. #1 Rola/Buchanan (OSU) 9-8(2)
2. #27 McCarthy/Van Engelen (OSU) def. #42 Domijan/Rooda (UVa) 8-6
3. Kobelt/Smith (OSU) def. Frank/Uriguen (UVa) 9-8(5)
1. #10 Jarmere Jenkins (UVa) led #16 Chase Buchanan (OSU) 5-7, 7-5, 2-1 DNF
2. #12 Blaz Rola (OSU) def. Alex Domijan (UVa) 7-5, 4-6, 6-3
3. Peter Kobelt (OSU) def. #1 Mitchell Frank (UVa) 7-5, 7-6(6)
4. Drew Courtney (UVa) def. #99 Ille Van Engelen (OSU) 7-6(5), 7-5
5. #65 Devin McCarthy (OSU) def. #37 Justin Shane (UVa) 7-6(3), 6-0
6. Julen Uriguen (UVa) led #107 Connor Smith (OSU) 7-6(5), 4-6, 3-2 DNF
Order of Finish: