Cavalier Men's Tennis Downs Hokies 6-1
BLACKSBURG, Va. – The third-ranked Virginia men’s tennis team returned to ACC play on Sunday, downing No. 37 Virginia Tech 6-1 at the Burrows-Burleson Tennis Center. The Cavaliers improve to 8-1 overall and 2-0 in the ACC, while the Hokies fall to 4-3 overall, 2-1 in the conference.
Virginia took an early 1-0 lead by winning the doubles point. Alex Domijan (Wesley Chapel, Fla.) and Steven Rooda (Amersfoort, The Netherlands) downed Patrick Daciek and Jon Pine 8-3 at the No. 3 position. Mitchell Frank (Annandale, Va.) and Julen Uriguen (Guatemala City, Guatemala) followed with an 8-6 win at No. 2 over Lucas Oliveria and Hunter Koontz.
In singles, the Cavaliers quickly clinched the win with three straight-set wins. Justin Shane (Falls Church, Va.) cruised to a 6-2, 6-2 win at No. 4 over Maurcio Antun. Frank followed with a 6-1, 6-0 win at No. 2 over Oliveria. Drew Courtney (Clifton, Va.) gave Virginia the victory as he completed a 6-4, 6-3 win at No. 3 over Daciek. After Tocci got the Hokies their lone point at No. 5 with a 6-3, 6-4 win over Uriguen, Philippe Oudshoorn (Apeldoorn, The Netherlands) and Domijan closed out the match with three-set wins at No. 6 and No. 1 respectively, to make the final score 6-1.
The win was Virginia’s 80th consecutive victory against ACC competition, extending its conference record.
The Cavaliers return to action on March 6 and 7 as they visit Mississippi State and Ole Miss.
#3 VIRGINIA 6, #37 VIRGINIA TECH 1
1. #54 Somen/Tocci (VT) def. #12 Jenkins/Courtney (UVa) 9-7
2. Frank/Uriguen (UVa) def. Oliveria/Koontz (VT) 8-6
3. #42 Rooda/Domijan (UVa) def. Daciek/J.Pine (VT) 8-3
1. Alex Domijan (UVa) def. #30 Luka Somen (VT) 6-7, 7-5, 6-4
2. #1 Mitchell Frank (UVa) def. #90 Lucas Oliveria (VT) 6-1, 6-0
3. Drew Courtney (UVa) def. Patrick Daciek (VT) 6-4, 6-3
4. #37 Justin Shane (UVa) def. Maurcio Antun (VT) 6-2, 6-2
5. Corrado Tocci (VT) def. Julen Uriguen (UVa) 6-3, 6-4
6. Philippe Oudshoorn (UVa) def. Trpimir Kujundzic (VT) 6-7, 6-3, 7-5
Order of Finish: