Three State Champions Sign NLIs to Run for Virginia
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va.-Mike Marsella, Connor Rog and Adam Visokay have all signed National Letters of Intent to join the Virginia track and field/cross country program, men’s head cross country coach Pete Watson announced Tuesday (Feb. 28).
“To get three of the nation’s top distance runners in a short period of time makes me excited for the future,” director of track and field/cross country Bryan Fetzer said. “All three will add more to the program than most can imagine.”
“This is a great start to our class, especially since we did it with only a few weeks of recruiting,” Watson, who was hired in January, said. “This is just a start, but I think that Mike, Connor and Adam will fit in well with our current squad and compliment the great talent we already have here.”
Marsella, a native of Wood River Junction, R.I., was named the Gatorade Rhode Island Boys’ Cross Country Runner of the Year in 2011 after winning the state championship and the New England Cross Country Championships. He finished 19th at the Nike Cross Nationals and won the 2012 state indoor championship in the 1,000 meters and the 3,000 meters.
“I think Mike is a huge talent and is probably one of the most promising kids in the country,” Watson said. “He might be a little bit on the undertrained side, but his talent level is incredible. He competes, wants to win, wants to be part of something special and I’m really excited to have Mike come and join us here.”
Rog, a native of Fairfield, Conn., is a two-time Gatorade Connecticut Boys’ Cross Country Runner of the Year. In 2011, he won the state Class LL cross country individual title and helped Fairfield Prep win the team crown. He finished second at the New England Cross Country Championships to Marsella and placed 18th at the Foot Locker national meet.
“I’m very excited because Connor is a great cross country runner,” Watson said. “He has a lot of potential on the track at probably the 5,000 and 10,000 along the way. He’s aggressive and not afraid to compete. He’s just a really good kid and he’s going to fit in well with us here.”
Visokay, a native of nearby Ruckersville, Va., is one of the top runners in the state of Virginia after winning the state title in the 3,200 meters on Saturday (Feb. 25). He finished 10th at the 2011 Nike Cross Nationals and was third at the Virginia AAA cross country meet.
“I think Adam is one of the top prospects in the country,” Watson said. “It’s also great for him to come here because he’s from our backyard and it’s important to keep those great, local talents from Virginia in state.”
“We are committed to recruiting the Commonwealth of Virginia and Adam is one of the state’s finest,” Fetzer added.
Mike Marsella – 6-1 – Chariho – Wood River Junction, R.I.
• Gatorade Rhode Island Boys’ Cross Country Runner of the Year
• Rhode Island cross country individual state champion
• First Team All-State selection by Providence Journal and Rhode Island Track Coaches Association
• Won the New England Cross Country Championships
• 19th at Nike Cross Nationals
• Rhode Island state champion in 1,000 and 3,000
• Ranked No. 1 in state of Rhode Island in 1,000 and mile
Connor Rog – 5-7 – Fairfield Prep – Fairfield, Conn.
• Two-time Gatorade Connecticut Boys’ Cross Country Runner of the Year
• Connecticut Class LL cross country individual state champion
• Helped lead Fairfield Prep to the team state championship
• Won the Connecticut State Open championship
• 18th at Foot Locker national championships
• 2nd at New England Cross Country Championships
• Ranked No. 1 in state of Connecticut in mile, 3,200 and two-mile
Adam Visokay – 6-1 – Albemarle – Ruckersville, Va.
• High School All-American
• 10th at Nike Cross Nationals
• 3rd at the Virginia AAA state cross country meet
• 2012 Virginia AAA state champion in indoor 3,200
• Daily Progress 2011 Boys’ XC Runner of the Year
• 2011 Virginia AAA state champion in outdoor 3,200
• Ranked No. 1 in state of Virginia in 3,200