Men's Tennis Downs Boston College and Eastern Kentucky
CHARLOTTESVILLE – The fifth-ranked Virginia men’s tennis team concluded its homestand by sweeping a doubleheader with a pair of shutouts on Saturday. The Cavaliers (13-1, 3-0 ACC) downed Boston College 7-0 in the first match at the Snyder Tennis Center and Eastern Kentucky 7-0 in the nightcap at the Boyd Tinsley Courts at the Boar’s Head Sports Club.
Five Cavalier players posted singles wins in both matches. Alex Domijan (Wesley Chapel, Fla.), Justin Shane (Falls Church, Va.) and Santiago Villegas (Bogota, Colombia) all had two straight-set wins on the day. Phillipe Oudshoorn (Adeldoorn, The Netherlands) had a straight-set win against the Eagles before rallying from down a set for a three-set win against the Colonels. Mitchell Frank (Annandale, Va.) had a 6-0, 6-0 win in the afternoon before rallying from down a set, saving a match point in the process, to win his second match of the day. Jarmere Jenkins (College Park, Ga.) added a win against Boston College and Julen Uriguen (Guatemala City, Guatemala) had a win against Eastern Kentucky.
Against Boston College, Virginia had doubles wins from the teams of Domijan and Steven Rooda (Amersfoort, The Netherlands), and Oudshoorn and Shane. The teams of Frank and Uriguen, and Rooda and Dino Dell’Orto (Hong Kong, China) had doubles victories in the Eastern Kentucky match.
The win over Boston College was Virginia’s 81st consecutive victory against ACC competition, extending its conference record
The Cavaliers return to action on March 23 as they visit No. 6 Duke. Match time in Durham is 3 p.m.
#5 VIRGINIA 7, BOSTON COLLEGE 0
1. Muppidi/Skinner (BC) def. #10 Courtney/Jenkins (UVa) 8-7(2)
2. Domijan/Rooda (UVa) def. Nelson/Grokenberger (BC) 8-3
3. #30 Shane/Oudshoorn (UVa) def. McGinnis/Wagner (BC) 8-5
1. #94 Alex Domijan (UVa) def. Akash Muppidi (BC) 6-4, 6-4
2. #7 Jarmere Jenkins (UVa) def. Alex Skinner (BC) 6-2, 6-2
3. #1 Mitchell Frank (UVa) def. Jonathan Raude (BC) 6-0, 6-0
4. #86 Justin Shane (UVa) def. Klaus Puestow (BC) 6-1, 6-1
5. Philippe Oudshoorn (UVa) def. Michael McGinnis (BC) 6-1, 7-5
6. Santiago Villegas (UVa) def. Matt Wagner (BC) 6-2, 6-1
Order of Finish:
#5 VIRGINIA 7, EASTERN KENTUCKY 0
1. Frank/J.Uriguen (UVa) def. Pons/Klientovsky (EKU) 8-5
2. Rooda/Dell’Orto (UVa) def. Janz/Schroeder (EKU) 8-3
3. Campbell/Dombrowski (EKU) def. Fang/I.Uriguen (UVa) 8-3
1. #1 Mitchell Frank (UVa) def. Hugo Klientovsky (EKU) 3-6, 7-5, 7-5
2. #94 Alex Domijan (UVa) def. Niklas Schroeder (EKU) 6-0, 6-1
3. Philippe Oudshoorn (UVa) def. Philip Janz (EKU) 6-7(8), 6-4, 6-4
4. #86 Justin Shane (UVa) def. Joao Maio (EKU) 6-1, 6-0
5. Julen Uriguen (UVa) def. Carles Pons (EKU) 6-2, 6-3
6. Santiago Villegas (UVa) def. Emilio Piriz (EKU) 6-3, 6-2
Order of Finish: