Cavaliers Roll to 6-1 Win at North Carolina
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. – In a matchup of the two of the three undefeated teams in ACC play this season, the No. 3 Virginia men’s tennis team downed No. 20 North Carolina 6-1 Sunday at the Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center. The Cavaliers (15-1, 5-0 ACC) won their eighth straight match, while the Tar Heels (7-5, 4-1 ACC) had their four-match win streak snapped.
The Cavaliers opened the match by winning the doubles point. Alex Domijan (Wesley Chapel, Fla.) and Julen Uriguen (Guatemala City, Guatemala) gave Virginia an early edge with an 8-4 win at No. 2 over Brennan Boyajian and Esben Hess-Olesen. Mitchell Frank (Annandale, Va.) and Justin Shane (Falls Church, Va.) teamed for the first time at No. 3, where they downed William Parker and Oystein Steiro 8-3 to clinch the point. At No. 1, UNC’s team of Jose Hernandez and Joey Burkhardt topped Jarmere Jenkins (College Park, Ga.) and Drew Courtney (Clifton, Va.) 8-4.
Virginia quickly sealed the victory in singles, winning the first five matches off the courts in straight sets. The Cavaliers dominated at the top three positions, losing just nine total games at those spots. Domijan defeated Hess-Olesen 6-2, 6-1 at No. 3, Frank cruised past Boyajian 6-2, 6-0 at No. 2, and Jenkins posted a 6-3, 6-1 win at No. 1 over Hernandez to clinch the victory. Shane added a 6-4, 6-3 win at No. 5 over Parker and Courtney downed Burkhardt 6-3, 6-3 at No. 4 to extend the lead to 6-0. In the final match to finish, Steiro defeated Uriguen in three sets at the No. 6 position for North Carolina’s lone point of the day.
The win was Virginia’s 83rd consecutive victory against ACC competition, extending its conference record.
The Cavaliers return home on Friday as they host Wake Forest. The Demon Deacons are led by first-year head coach Tony Bresky, who spent eight years (2003-10) as an assistant with the Cavaliers. Match time at the Snyder Tennis Center is set for 3 p.m.
#3 VIRGINIA 6, #20 NORTH CAROLINA 1
1. #73 Hernandez/Burkhardt (UNC) def. #10 Courtney/Jenkins (UVa) 8-6
2. Domijan/Uriguen (UVa) def. Boyajian/Hess-Olesen (UNC) 8-4
3. Frank/Shane (UVa) def. Parker/Steiro (UNC) 8-3
1. #7 Jarmere Jenkins (UVa) def. #34 Jose Hernandez (UNC) 6-3, 6-1
2. #1 Mitchell Frank (UVa) def. #90 Brennan Boyajian (UNC) 6-2, 6-0
3. #94 Alex Domijan (UVa) def. #98 Esben Hess-Olesen (UNC) 6-2, 6-1
4. Drew Courtney (UVa) def. Joey Burkhardt (UNC) 6-3, 6-3
5. #86 Justin Shane (UVa) def. William Parker (UNC) 6-4, 6-3
6. Oystein Steiro (UNC) def. Julen Uriguen (UVa) 7-6(5), 1-6, 6-2
Order of Finish: