Cavaliers Top Seminoles For 20th Win of the Season
CHARLOTTESVILLE – The third-ranked Virginia men’s tennis team secured its ninth consecutive ACC regular season title as it defeated No. 29 Florida State 4-3 on Friday at the Snyder Tennis Center. The Cavaliers (20-1, 10-0 ACC) secured their 10th consecutive 20-win season with the victory, while the Seminoles fell to 16-7 overall, 7-3 in the conference.
The Cavaliers swept all three doubles matches to win take the opening point. Jarmere Jenkins (College Park, Ga.) and Drew Courtney (Clifton, Va.) posted an 8-4 win at No. 1 over Blake Davis and Jordan Kelly-Houston. At No. 3, Alex Domijan (Wesley Chapel, Fla.) and Mitchell Frank (Annandale, Va.) clinched the doubles point with their 8-3 win over Benjamin Lock and Jason Zafiros. Steven Rooda (Amersfoort, The Netherlands) and Justin Shane (Falls Church, Va.) completed the sweep with a win at No. 2, rallying to win the final five games in an 8-6 victory over Dominic Cotrone and Anderson Reed.
Virginia quickly sealed the victory with three straight-set wins at the top three positions. Domijan cruised to a 6-0, 6-1 victory over Davis at No. 2 singles. Jenkins followed with a 6-2, 6-4 win at the top spot over Kelly-Houston. Frank sealed the victory with his 6-2, 6-2 win at No. 3 over Cristian Gonzalez Mendez. The Seminoles won at the bottom three positions in three sets to make the final margin 4-3.
The win was Virginia’s 88th consecutive victory against ACC competition, extending its conference record. With a victory on Sunday, the Cavaliers would post their sixth consecutive undefeated ACC regular season.
The Cavaliers will conclude the regular season on Sunday when they host Miami at 11 a.m. In between doubles and singles will be a ceremony to honor the five Cavaliers playing their final regular season home match: Courtney, Oudshoorn, Rooda, Reese Milner (Los Angeles, Calif.) and Santiago Villegas (Bogota, Colombia).
#3 VIRGINIA 4, #29 FLORIDA STATE 3
1. #18 Courtney/Jenkins (UVa) def. #47 Davis/Kelly-Houston (FSU) 8-4
2. Rooda/Shane (UVa) def. Cotrone/Reed (FSU) 8-6
3. Domijan/Frank (UVa) def. Lock/Zafiros (FSU) 8-3
1. #6 Jarmere Jenkins (UVa) def. Jordan Kelly-Houston (FSU) 6-2, 6-4
2. #47 Alex Domijan (UVa) def. Blake Davis (FSU) 6-0, 6-1
3. #1 Mitchell Frank (UVa) def. Cristian Gonzalez Mendez (FSU) 6-2, 6-2
4. Benjamin Lock (FSU) def. #86 Justin Shane (UVa) 4-6, 6-2, 6-0
5. Jason Zafiros (FSU) def. Drew Courtney (UVa) 7-6(2), 6-7(2), 10-3
6. Dominic Cotrone (FSU) def. Philippe Oudshoorn (UVa) 2-6, 6-3, 6-3
Order of Finish: