Cavaliers Down Maryland 4-0 to Advance to ACC Semifinals
CARY, N.C. – The second-ranked Virginia men’s tennis team advanced to the semifinals of the 2012 ACC Tournament with a 4-0 win over No. 59 Maryland in a quarterfinal match Friday morning at the Cary Tennis Park. The Cavaliers (22-1) reached the semifinals for the ninth consecutive season, while the Terrapins (8-15) saw its season come to an end.
“It was a good victory for us, but also bittersweet,” said head coach Brian Boland. “It is unfortunate for college tennis that this was likely the last match for the Maryland program. It is disappointing because of the improvement and development they have had in recent years. Their guys left it all on the court today and should feel proud. I feel for (Maryland head coach) Kyle Spencer and his staff, because the program they have spent so much time building into a contender won’t exist next year. I wish all of them the best and hope they find a good place next season.”
The Cavaliers opened the match by winning the doubles point. Alex Domijan (Wesley Chapel, Fla.) and Mitchell Frank (Annandale, Va.) downed Andy Magee and Jesse Kiuru 8-3 at the No. 3 position. Drew Courtney (Clifton, Va.) and Jarmere Jenkins (College Park, Ga.) clinched the point with their 8-3 win at No. 1 over Maros Horny and John Collins.
In singles, the Cavaliers won all six first sets and finished three matches in straight sets to seal the win. Jenkins posted a 6-4, 6-4 win at the top spot over Horny to double the lead. Courtney followed with a 6-4, 6-2 win at No. 4 over Kiuru to make the score 3-0. Frank clinched the victory with his 6-3 6-2 win at No. 3 over Sergio Wyss.
The win was Virginia’s 90th consecutive victory against ACC competition (regular season and postseason), extending its conference record.
The Cavaliers will meet Florida State in Saturday’s first semifinal match. Match time at the Cary Tennis Park is set for 10 a.m.
#2 VIRGINIA 4, #59 MARYLAND 0
1. #18 Courtney/Jenkins (UVa) def. #23 Horny/Collins (Md) 8-3
2. Rooda/Shane (UVa) led Stefan/Laine (Md) 7-5 DNF
3. Domijan/Frank (UVa) def. Magee/Kiuru (Md) 8-3
1. #5 Jarmere Jenkins (UVa) def. Maros Horny (Md) 6-4, 6-4
2. #42 Alex Domijan (UVa) led #88 Vlad Stefan (Md) 6-2, 5-3 DNF
3. #1 Mitchell Frank (UVa) def. Sergio Wyss (Md) 6-3, 6-2
4. Drew Courtney (UVa) def. Jesse Kiuru (Md) 6-4, 6-2
5. #79 Justin Shane (UVa) led John Collins (Md) 6-1, 2-6, 3-2 DNF
6. Philippe Oudshoorn (UVa) led Tommy Laine (Md) 7-5, 4-1 DNF
Order of Finish:
Mitchell Frank Postmatch Interview