Cavaliers Blank Florida State 4-0 in ACC Semifinals
CARY, N.C. – The second-ranked Virginia men’s tennis team advanced to the finals of the 2012 ACC Tournament with a 4-0 win over No. 32 Florida State in a semifinal match Saturday at the Cary Tennis Park. The Cavaliers (23-1) needed just over two hours to dispatch of the Seminoles (18-9) and reach the ACC Tournament final for the ninth consecutive year.
“The guys came ready to play today and I was impressed with the overall performance,” said head coach Brian Boland. “We continue to get better with each match we play and we look forward to a great championship match tomorrow.”
The Cavaliers opened the match by winning the doubles point. Alex Domijan (Wesley Chapel, Fla.) and Mitchell Frank (Annandale, Va.) topped Anderson Reed and Dominic Cotrone 8-4 at the No. 3 position. Drew Courtney (Clifton, Va.) and Jarmere Jenkins (College Park, Ga.) clinched the point for the second straight day, downing Jordan Kelly-Houston and Blake Davis 8-5 at No. 1 doubles.
In singles, the Cavaliers doubled their lead as Courtney cruised to a 6-2, 6-1 win over Benjamin Lock at No. 4. Domijan followed with a 6-3, 6-1 win at No. 2 over Davis to extend the lead to 3-0. Justin Shane (Falls Church, Va.) clinched the victory as he downed Cristian Gonzalez Mendez 6-4, 6-4 at the No. 5 position.
The win was Virginia’s 91st consecutive victory against ACC competition (regular season and postseason), extending its conference record. It was also the Cavaliers’ 17th consecutive ACC Tournament victory, the last five coming by shutout.
The Cavaliers will look for their sixth consecutive ACC Championship as they meet Duke in Sunday’s championship match. It is the third straight year the teams have met in the final. Match time at the Cary Tennis Park is set for 11 a.m.
#2 VIRGINIA 4, #32 FLORIDA STATE 0
1. #18 Courtney/Jenkins (UVa) def. #60 Davis/Kelly-Houston (FSU) 8-5
2. Rooda/Shane (UVa) led Lock/Bucaro (FSU) 6-5 DNF
3. Domijan/Frank (UVa) def. Cotrone/Reed (FSU) 8-4
1. Jordan Kelly-Houston (FSU) led #5 Jarmere Jenkins (UVa) 6-3, 4-5 DNF
2. #42 Alex Domijan (UVa) def. Blake Davis (FSU) 6-3, 6-1
3. #1 Mitchell Frank (UVa) led Andres Bucaro (FSU) 6-2, 3-2 DNF
4. Drew Courtney (UVa) def. Benjamin Lock (FSU) 6-2, 6-1
5. #79 Justin Shane (UVa) def. Cristian Gonzalez Mendez (FSU) 6-4, 6-4
6. Philippe Oudshoorn (UVa) vs. Jason Zafiros (FSU) 3-6, 6-2, 0-0 DNF
Order of Finish:
Drew Courtney Postmatch Interview