Virginia Postgame Notes - Game 5 vs Oklahoma - NCAA Regional
2012 NCAA Division I Baseball Regional – Game 5
Virginia (39-19-1) vs. Oklahoma (40-23)
Davenport Field | Charlottesville, Va. | June 3, 2012 | 7:30 p.m.
University of Virginia Post-Game Notes
• Virginia’s appearance in the 2012 NCAA Regional serves as the program’s 12th all-time tournament appearance, including its ninth straight.
• The Cavaliers are now 30-27 all-time in NCAA Tournament play and 24-21 under head coach Brian O’Connor.
• The loss ends UVa’s season and snaps the program’s consecutive run of 40-win seasons at three.
• It is the first time UVa has been eliminated from the NCAA Tournament in a regional since exiting the 2008 Fullerton Regional.
• With his lead-off single to start the game, UVa’s Chris Taylor has been the leadoff hitter for the last 13 NCAA Tournament games for the Cavaliers and has reached base via a base hit, walk or hit-by-pitch to start six of those games.
• Taylor tied his career high with four hits. Taylor also had four hits against VMI this season on March 21.
• In Virginia’s two losses on Sunday, the Cavaliers stranded a total of 20 runners, nine against Oklahoma.
• UVa struck out 11 times against the Sooners, the most since a April 20 game at Duke when the Cavaliers struck out 13 times.