Fun Facts: Mikayla Venson
Mikayla Venson was the 2011 Virginia High School League National District Co-Player of the Year and National District Rookie of the Year after averaging 14.3 points per game and 5.5 assists per game. She did not play high school basketball after her freshman season, but continued training with her father and playing with AAU club teams. The point guard was ranked No. 31 prospect overall by Blue Star Report and No. 7 at her position by ESPN Hoopgurlz.
Other Fun Facts about Mikayla:
– She loves UVa because of the family atmosphere. “My teammates are wonderful and the coaching staff is fantastic. It is also close to home, so my family can come to my games.”
– She loves basketball because “I feel free and it is my passion. God has blessed me with a talent and I want to carry out His plan for me.”
– Her favorite basketball drill is the seven-second one-on-one.
– She had a crush on Will Smith when she was younger.
– She brings a pink bear Pillow Pet on the road with her.
– If she were an animal, she would be a snow leopard.
– Her parents named her Mikayla because both her father and brother are named “Michael” and they wanted to go off that.
– She loves to sing with “Yo” by Chris Brown being her go-to karaoke song.
– She is considering becoming a sports psychologist. The most-memorable class she has taken was her AP Psychology class. She is also considering a career in sports broadcasting.
– She is a good cook and really enjoys making egg rolls.
– Her thoughts on Coach Boyle:”She is spectacular!”
The Virginia Cavaliers open the 2014 season on Friday, Nov. 14 when they host Ohio State at John Paul Jones Arena. Season ticket packages are still available. Click Here for ticket information.