Cavaliers Conclude ITA Indoors with 4-0 Win Over North Carolina
Box Score Feb. 15, 2015
CHICAGO – The third-ranked Virginia men’s tennis team concluded play at the 2015 ITA National Team Indoor Championships with a 4-0 consolation victory over No. 7 North Carolina at the Midtown Athletic Club. The Cavaliers (7-1) needed just under one hour and 40 minutes to dispatch of the Tar Heels (9-3) and post their first top-10 win of the season.
“You learn a lot about a team in how it deals with a setback,” said head coach Brian Boland. “After a tough match yesterday, I was thrilled by their response and how everyone competed from top to bottom of the lineup. I thought we came out with a lot of energy and were ready to play. I am looking forward to seeing this group continue to develop during the remainder of the season,”
The Cavaliers opened the match by winning the doubles point. Collin Altamirano (Sacramento, Calif.) and Mitchell Frank (Annandale, Va.) gave Virginia the early lead by downing Jack Murray and Ronnie Schneider 6-2 at No. 3 doubles. Luca Corinteli (Alexandria, Va.) and Ryan Shane (Falls Church, Va.) sealed the opening point with a 6-4 win at No. 1 over Brayden Schnur and Oystein Steiro.
Virginia carried the momentum from doubles into singles, where it won all six first sets. J.C. Aragone (Yorba Linda, Calif.) doubled lead as he completed a 6-1, 6-3 win at No. 6 over Robert Kelly. Altamirano followed with a 6-3, 6-3 win at No. 4 over Steiro to extend the lead to 3-0. A minute later, Shane clinched the victory with a 6-3, 6-4 win at No. 2 over Schneider.
The victory also extended Virginia’s ACC-record conference win streak (regular season and postseason) to 124 matches.
Cavaliers return to action on Mar. 1 as they visit Baylor, the team that handed them their only loss of the season on Saturday. Match time in Waco, site of this year’s NCAA Championships, is 2 p.m.
#3 VIRGINIA 4, #7 NORTH CAROLINA 0
1. #37 Corinteli/Shane (UVa) def. Schnur/Steiro (UNC) 6-4
2. #41 Kwiatkowski/Styslinger (UVa) vs. Clark/Kelly (UNC) 4-4 DNF
3. Altamirano/Frank (UVa) def. Murray/Schneider (UNC) 6-2
Order of Finish: 3,1
1. Mitchell Frank (UVa) vs. #6 Brayden Schnur (UNC) 7-5, 1-3 DNF
2. #4 Ryan Shane (UVa) def. #19 Ronnie Schneider (UNC) 6-3, 6-4
3. #1 Thai-Son Kwiatkowski (UVa) vs. Brett Clark (UNC) 6-1, 1-6, 2-1 DNF
4. Collin Altamirano (UVa) def. Oystein Steiro (UNC) 6-3, 6-3
5. Alexander Ritschard (UVa) vs. #104 Jack Murray (UNC) 6-3, 5-2 DNF
6. J.C. Aragone (UVa) def. #75 Robert Kelly (UNC) 6-1, 6-3
Order of Finish: 6,4,2