No. 1 Virginia Downs No. 23 Florida State, 7-0
Box Score March 20, 2016
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The No. 1 Virginia men’s tennis team (14-2, 4-0 ACC) logged a 7-0 victory over No. 23 Florida State (12-5, 4-2 ACC) on Sunday (March 20) at the Boars Head Sports Club.
It was the second 7-0 sweep of the weekend for the Cavaliers who also downed No. 33 NC State 7-0 on Friday.
“Florida State is an outstanding team,” said Virginia head coach Brian Boland. “It really took a complete effort from our entire team today. I am very proud of the way that we played and of the results this weekend.”
The Cavaliers won the doubles point after junior Thai-Son Kwiatkowski (Charlotte, N.C.) and senior Mac Styslinger (Birmingham, Ala.) as well as junior J.C. Aragone (Yorba Linda, Calif.) and sophomore Collin Altamirano (Sacramento, Calif.) won their matches at No. 2 and No. 3 by 6-2 scores.
In singles, sophomore Henrik Wiersholm (Kirkland, Wash.), playing at No. 4 today, downed Aziz Dougaz 6-1, 6-1. Shane, currently ranked No. 13 in singles, defeated No. 30 Benjamin Lock 6-3, 6-2 at No. 1. Aragone won his first set in a tiebreaker but dominated Jose Gracia in the second set to win 7-5, 6-1 at No. 5 to clinch the match. Kwiatkowski logged a 6-3, 6-3 victory over Michael Rinaldi at No. 3. Styslinger rallied to tie up his first set and then won the tiebreaker before downing Jake Albo 6-2 in the second to put the Cavaliers up 6-0.
Altamirano, playing at No. 2, won his first set 6-1, but faltered in the second, falling 6-3, before coming back to win his third set 7-5 to close out the match.
The Cavaliers continue their current homestand next weekend, hosting No. 38 Notre Dame on Friday, March 25 at 3 p.m. and Boston College on Saturday, March 26 at 1 p.m. Both matches are scheduled to be played outdoors at the Snyder Tennis Center. Admission is free.
#1 Virginia 7, #23 Florida State 0
1. #13 Ryan Shane (VA) def. #30 Benjamin Lock (FS) 6-3, 6-2
2. #47 Collin Altamirano (VA) def. #97 Marco Nunez (FS) 6-1, 3-6, 7-5
3. #3 Thai-Son Kwiatkowski (VA) def. Michael Rinaldi (FS) 6-3, 6-3
4. Henrik Wiersholm (VA) def. Aziz Dougaz (FS) 6-1, 6-1
5. #116 J.C. Aragone (VA) def. Jose Gracia (FS) 7-5, 6-1
6. Mac Styslinger (VA) def. Jake Albo (FS) 7-6, 6-2
1. #6 Ryan Shane/Luca Corinteli (VA) vs. #26 Benjamin Lock/Marco Nunez (FS) 5-4, unfinished
2. #7 Thai-Son Kwiatkowski/Mac Styslinger (VA) def. Michael Rinaldi/Aziz Dougaz (FS) 6-2
3. J.C. Aragone/Collin Altamirano (VA) def. Jose Gracia/Jack Haffey (FS) 6-2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (4,1,5,3,6,2)