No. 12 Virginia Shuts Out Florida State
Box Score March 27, 2016
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – The No, 12 Virginia (11-7, 6-3 ACC) women’s tennis team grabbed the doubles point and straight-set wins on three singles courts to lock up a 4-0 win at Florida State (9-9, 1-7 ACC) on Sunday.
After picking up the doubles point, Virginia got straight-set victories from No. 16 Julia Elbaba (Oyster Bay, N.Y.), Victoria Olivarez (Virginia Beach, Va.) and Meghan Kelley (Falmouth, Me.) to grab the win over the Seminoles.
The remaining matches were abandoned before completion.
The Cavaliers took the early lead in the match, claiming the doubles points with wins on courts one and two in doubles. The No. 21 pairing of Danielle Collins (St. Petersburg, Fla.) and Kelley raced to a 6-1 win on court one, while Cassie Mercer (Huntington, W.V.) and Stephanie Nauta (Galveston, Texas) rallied for a 7-5 win on court two.
Elbaba extended the lead for the Cavaliers as she locked up victory on court two with a 6-4, 6-2 win over Yukako Noi, before Olivarez added to the lead with a 6-4, 6-4 win over Gabriela Castaneda on court four.
Kelley then secured the win, battling through a second-set tiebreak to defeat Lana Rush 6-1, 7-6 on court five.
Virginia will return to action on Friday (April 1) against No. 10 Duke at 3 p.m. It will kick off a weekend of two home matches in ACC play as the Cavaliers also host No. 22 Georgia Tech on Sunday (April 3). Both matches are scheduled for the Snyder Tennis Center.
No. 12 Virginia 4, Florida State 0
1. No. 21 Collins/Kelley def. Castaneda/Mikulski, 6-1
2. Mercer/Nauta def. Borthwick/Noi, 7-5
3. Elbaba/Susi tied Rush/Schippers, 5-5 (susp.)
Order of Finish: 1, 2
1. No. 4 Danielle Collins vs. No. 55 Daneika Borthwick, 7-5, 5-3 (susp.)
2. No. 16 Julia Elbaba def. Yukako Noi, 6-4, 6-2
3. No. 111 Stephanie Nauta vs. Julia Mikulski, 4-6, 6-4, 1-1 (susp.)
4. Victoria Olivarez def. Gabriela Castaneda, 6-4, 6-4
5. Meghan Kelley def. Lana Rush, 6-1, 7-6 (7)
6. Erica Susi vs. Daniela Schippers, 6-4, 3-6 (susp.)
Order of Finish: 2, 4, 5