Post Game Notes
June 5, 2016
2016 NCAA CHARLOTTESVILLE BASEBALL REGIONAL
Davenport Field – Charlottesville, Va.
2016 NCAA Division I Baseball Regional – Game 6
June 5, 2016 – 3 p.m.
William & Mary (31-31) vs. East Carolina (37-21-1)
William & Mary Notes
- The Tribe is now 4-8 in NCAA Tournament games.
- This was the first NCAA Regional Championship appearance since the 2013 season and second appearance in an NCAA Regional Championship appearance in program history. The Tribe fell to NC State 9-2 in the Raleigh Regional championship that season.
- Charley Gould went 3-for- 4 for his team leading 24th multiple-hit game of the season.
- Junior Ryder Miconi reached base safely in 54-of- 59 games played this season.
- William & Mary held the Pirates to 3-for-14 batting with runners in scoring position, but surrendered three home runs accounting for 6 RBI.
- William & Mary put its leadoff hitter on base in the first five innings. The Tribe finished with their leadoff hitter reaching base in six of nine innings.
EAST CAROLINA POST-GAME NOTES
- East Carolina advances to an NCAA Super Regional for the first time since the 2009 season. That year the Pirates advanced to the Chapel Hill Super Regional.
- The Pirates went 3-0 in an NCAA Regional for the first time since the 2004 season. That season ECU defeated Stony Brook and UNCW on the way to the Columbia Super Regional vs. South Carolina.
- ECU advances to face either No. 5 national-seed Texas Tech or Dallas Baptist out of the Lubbock Regional hosted by Texas Tech.
- ECU is now 34-55 all-time in NCAA Tournament games.
- The win over W&M was the first by ECU since a 13-4 win on April 18, 2012. W&M won the last meeting between the two teams, a 10-4 win on March 26, 2013.
- It’s the 28th NCAA Regional appearance for ECU and second consecutive under second-year headcoach Cliff Godwin.
- ECU head coach Cliff Godwin is now 10-8 in NCAA Tournament games as a player and coach with the Pirates.
- The Pirates are 30-6- 1 when out-hitting an opponent, out-hitting W&M 14-10 on the afternoon.
- Junior 2B Charlie Yorgen went 8-for- 14 in the NCAA Regional through three games.
- ECU was 3-for- 14 with runners in scoring position, but notched three two-run home runs in the win.
- Watkins now has a team-leading 11 multiple-RBI games after going 2-for- 4 with 2 RBI.