Feb. 18, 2018
MADEIRA BEACH, Fla. — Senior Allison Davis (Oak Hill, Va.) lifted her second career grand slam to spark Virginia (4-6) to a 6-0 victory over Eastern Michigan (0-4) at the Madeira Beach Invitational.
Davis’ grand slam was part of a 2-for-4 day for the outfielder. She finished the weekend with a team-leading six hits in the five games and a .375 average at the plate.
After a quiet first inning, the Hoos broke the game open in the bottom of the second with a pair of home runs. Back-to-back singles set the table before an EMU fielding error on a sac bunt loaded the bases. Davis stepped to the plate and sent the first pitch she saw from Kiara Hurley sailing over the fence in left center.
Danni Ingraham (Laguna Niguel, Calif.) continued the inning with a two-out single up the middle. That brought designated player Lacy Smith (Lancaster, Pa.) to the plate and the junior uncorked her second blast of the season to make it 6-0 Wahoos.
The six runs proved more than enough for junior Erika Osherow (Darien, Conn.) in the circle. The right-hander produced her best outing of the season, going the distance for her fourth career shutout.
The Eagles manage to get runners into scoring position on four occasions, but Osherow (2-3) escaped each with relative ease. EMU’s best chance came in the seventh when a pair of singles and catcher’s interference loaded the bases with two outs. Osherow secured the shutout by inducing a pop up in foul territory outside the third base bag. She finished the game with a season-high five strikeouts while issuing just a single walk.
IN THE CIRCLE
– The seven-inning shutout was Osherow’s first since April 23, 2016, against Georgia Tech.
– With her third complete game of the season, Osherow moves into the top 10 all-time at UVA in the category.
AT THE PLATE
– The grand slam was Davis’ second of her career, the other coming on Feb. 5, 2015, against BYU.
– Davis’ grand slam was the first for the Hoos since Iyana Hughes‘ against Virginia Tech on April 8, 2015.
– Davis (2-for-4), Ingraham (2-for-3) and Osherow (2-for-3) all finished with multi-hit games.
– Smith’s two-run home run gives the junior a team-high 12 RBI on the season.
— Virginia Softball (@UVASoftball) February 18, 2018
The Hoos travel to Greensboro, N.C., next weekend (Feb. 23-25) for five games in the UNCG Invitational.