Feb. 22, 2018
|Virginia at UNCG Invitational|
|Date/Time||Friday, Feb. 23 – 5 p.m.
Saturday, Feb. 24 – Noon & 5 p.m.
Sunday, Feb. 25 – 9 & 11:30 a.m.
|Location||Greensboro, N.C. | UNCG Softball Stadium|
|Notes||Week 3 Notes|
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – In its final February weekend, Virginia (4-6) travels to the UNCG Invitational for five games on February 23-25 in Greensboro, N.C.
The Cavaliers will face Appalachian State (3-6), UNCG (7-2) and Seton Hall (4-4) in the invitational. The Hoos will face App State and UNCG twice while battling Seton Hall in a single game.
Friday vs. App State – 5 p.m.
Saturday vs. App State – Noon
Saturday vs. UNCG – 5 p.m.
Sunday vs. Seton Hall – 9 a.m.
Sunday vs. UNCG – 11:30 a.m.
- Virginia plays five games for a third-straight weekend to open the season as the Cavaliers head to the UNCG Invitational.
- The trip to Greensboro, N.C., marks the end of a 15-game road swing to open the year. The Hoos return home Wednesday (Feb. 28) to host Campbell.
- The weekend will feature a pair of rematches with UNCG after the Spartans edged Virginia, 3-2, this past weekend in Madeira Beach.
- Allison Davis (Oak Hill, Va.) continues to lead the Cavaliers at the plate, hitting .400 and launching the program’s first grand slam since 2015 in the win over EMU.
- UVA pitching is looking to replicate its weekend in Madeira Beach where the Hoos posted a 1.91 ERA as a team.
- The Hoos are facing App State for the first time since 2002.
- Allison Davis continues to pace the Hoos with a .400 batting average over the first two weeks of play. Davis also hit her second career grand slam in the win over Eastern Michigan, becoming the only Hoo in this century to accomplish the feat.
- Olivia Gott (Weston, Fla.) has reached safely in all 10 games this season.
- Freshman Hayley Busby (Phoenix, Ariz.) leads the ACC with three triples on the season.
- After a tough opening weekend in the circle, UVA pitchers bounced back to compile a staff ERA of 1.91 at the Madeira Beach Invitational.
- Lacy Smith (Lancaster, Pa.) set a new career high with seven strikeouts against George Mason to pick up the win.
- Erika Osherow (Darien, Conn.) threw a complete-game shutout in the victory over Eastern Michigan, her first in over a year.
- Tabby Dabney (Mechanicsville, Va.) also proved effective, holding UNCG to a pair of earned runs in five innings of work.
- Smith has proven to be a cornerstone for the Cavaliers both in the circle and at the plate to start 2018.
- The right-hander leads the team with a 2.37 ERA in the circle and fired a career-high seven strikeouts in her complete-game victory over George Mason in Madeira Beach.
- At the plate, she leads the Hoos with 12 RBIs and sits tied for second in the ACC through two weeks of play. The 12 RBIs are just five shy of her career high of 17 set last season.
- Smith is tied for the team lead with a pair of home runs, which is third in the ACC.
Virginia opens its 2018 home slate on Wednesday, Feb. 28, when the Hoos host Campbell in a 5 p.m. first pitch at The Park. Admission to all UVA softball home games will once again be free in 2018.