Feb. 27, 2018
|Campbell (7-8) at Virginia (6-9)|
|Date/Time||Wednesday, February 28, 5 p.m.|
|Location||Charlottesville, Va. | The Park|
|Additional Information||Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | Notes|
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – After starting the season with 15-consecutive games on the road, Virginia (6-9) hosts Campbell (7-8) in the home opener at The Park on Wednesday (Feb. 28). First pitch is slated for 5 p.m. between the Cavaliers and Camels.
Admission to all Virginia softball home games is free in 2018. Live stats will also be available through links on VirginiaSports.com.
Virginia and Campbell are meeting for the 20th time on Wednesday night, with the Hoos holding a 13-6 edge in the all-time series. The Cavaliers are 6-1 against the Camels in Charlottesville, including a 4-1 mark at The Park.
Campbell has won each of the last four meetings in the series, dating back to 2005. The two programs last met on Feb. 22, 2015, in the Citrus Classic in Orlando, Fla.
- The Hoos are looking to snap a three-game skid to end the weekend after winning the first two games of the UNCG Invitational.
- Hayley Busby (Phoenix, Ariz.) caught fire over the weekend, hitting .429 to raise her season average by nearly .100 points.
- The Cavaliers are 24-14 all-time in home openers and are 247-188 all-time at The Park (1995).
- This is the first time the Hoos have opened at home against a non-ACC opponent since the 2012 season, a 9-2 win over Ohio.
- Virginia has won four-straight games at The Park, including a series victory over Georgia Tech and wins over Georgetown and George Washington to close 2017.
- Virginia opened the UNCG Invitational with back-to-back wins over App State.
- Lacy Smith (Lancaster, Pa.) tossed a complete game, her second consecutive, in the 2-1 Saturday win over the Mountaineers.
- In the final three games of the weekend, the Hoos suffered a pair of shutouts at the hands of UNCG and dropped a 9-7 slugfest to Seton Hall.
- Freshman Haley Busby went 6-for-14 on the weekend with her first home run and a pair of RBI.
- The pivotal hit proved elusive as the Cavaliers finished the weekend 6-for-36 with runners in scoring position.
- The Camels are off to a 7-8 start, going 2-3 over the past weekend at their Camel Stampede.
- Campbell played a pair of contests against ACC-foe Georgia Tech, falling 6-2 and 8-0.
- Rachel McCollum leads the Camels with a .375 average at the plate and 20 RBI on the year.
- Megan Richards has been the top option in the circle with a 4-3 record and 2.93 ERA in 43 innings.
Virginia travels to Washington, D.C., for the District Classic hosted by Georgetown on Saturday and Sunday. The Cavaliers will face Columbia and UMBC on Saturday before taking on Howard and Iona on Sunday.