March 5, 2018
|Virginia (8-12) at Hampton (5-9)|
|Date/Time||March 6 | 12 p.m. (DH)|
|Game Notes||UVA Notes|
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – Virginia (8-12) travels to Hampton (5-9) for a midweek doubleheader against the Pirates on Tuesday (March 6). Game one will begin at noon, one hour earlier than originally scheduled due to the chance of rain in the afternoon.
The Cavaliers are coming off a 2-2 weekend at the District Classic where they picked up a pair of run-rule victories. The road trip caps a string of 21-of-22 games away from home to start the season for the Hoos. Virginia returns home to open ACC play over the weekend, playing host to Georgia Tech at The Park.
Live stats for both games are available through links on VirginiaSports.com.
- Virginia cranked out 11 home runs in the four games, more than the Cavaliers had posted in the first 16 games combined.
- As a team, the Hoos hit .390 on the weekend while slugging at a .780 clip.
- Allison Davis led the way with a .692 average and eight RBI. She also went deep for three home runs.
- Hayley Busby also continued her hot hitting, extending her hitting streak to seven games. The freshman has reached safely in 10 straight as well.
- Virginia opens ACC play this weekend by hosting Georgia Tech at The Park.
HOOS VS. PIRATES
- Virginia and Hampton are meeting for the fourth and fifth time in Tuesday’s doubleheader.
- The Cavaliers are 3-0 all-time against the Pirates.
- The two sides are meeting for the first time since 2010.
- Hampton is 5-9 on the season and coming off a 2-3 weekend at the Pirate Invitational.
- Hampton has played one other ACC foe on the season, falling 5-0 to North Carolina.
- Allison Davis hit four home runs last week and now has six on the season. She is batting .406 for the year, second in the ACC.
- Hayley Busby hit .571 over the weekend and has now hit in seven straight. Since adding a chinstrap to her helmet, Busby is hitting .469.
- Lacy Smith added her 17th RBI of the season this weekend, matching her career high at UVA.
- The Hoos launched five home runs in the victory over UMBC, matching the school record set three times before.
- Virginia notched back-to-back run-rule victories for the first time since February 11, 2016.
Virginia returns home to The Park this weekend for the first ACC series of the year, as the Cavaliers host Georgia Tech. First pitch in the series opener is set for 6 p.m. on Friday (March 9).