April 10, 2018
|Longwood at Virginia|
|Date/Time||April 11 | 6 p.m.|
|Location||Charlottesville, Va. | The Park|
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – Following a 17-run explosion on Sunday, Virginia (12-27) returns home to welcome Longwood (24-12) to The Park on Wednesday (April 11) at 6 p.m.
The Cavaliers and Lancers are meeting for the only time in 2018 after the Lancers captured a pair of games in 2017. Longwood heads to Charlottesville after facing North Carolina on Tuesday night.
Virginia enters the week after capturing a 17-12 slugfest in the finale at Louisville. The game marked the most combined runs in a single game in Virginia history and the most runs scored by the Cavaliers since 1996.
Admission to all Virginia softball home games is free in 2018 and concessions are available at The Park.
- Longwood and Virginia are meeting for the 36th time with the Lancers holding a 19-16 edge.
- The series is split 3-3 over the past three seasons.
- Virginia leads 9-7 in all-time meetings in Charlottesville.
- Longwood earned a pair of one-run victories in 2017 in Farmville.
- Danni Ingraham (Laguna Niguel, Calif.) tied the Virginia school record with her seven runs batted in against Louisville on Sunday.
- Freshman Hayley Busby (Phoenix, Ariz.) set a new career high with five RBI in the win over Louisville.
- Virginia’s 17 runs on Sunday marked the most since April 27, 1996, against George Mason. It’s the 11th time the Cavaliers have produced 17 or more runs in a single game.
- The Cavaliers are just 1-4 in midweek contests to this point of the season.
- The Lancers enter the Wednesday night clash at 24-12 after taking 2-of-3 from Big South rival Liberty over the weekend.
- The Lancers sit second in the Big South at 9-3 overall.
- Longwood leans heavily on its pitching, led by the duo of Sydney Gay and Sydney Backstrom. The pair have a 1.92 and 1.97 ERA, respectively, and have tossed a combined 220 innings on the season.
- At the plate, the Lancers hit .274 as a team and are led by catcher Kaylynn Batten at .370.
- Six different Lancers have double-digit RBI on the season.
Virginia continues the week by hosting Virginia Tech in a three-game series over the weekend. First pitch in the opener is set for Friday (April 13) at 6 p.m.