Toledo, Ohio. – Virginia senior men’s golfer Thomas Walsh (High Point, N.C.) posted four consecutive birdies during the back nine of his final round at the 2018 Inverness Intercollegiate to win medalist honors by nine shots.
Walsh, the 2018 ACC Individual Champion, shot 6-under 65 on Tuesday for a 54-hole total of 8-under 205. That broke the tournament scoring record by four strokes. It was the second tournament win of his career. He shot 71 during Monday’s opening round and started Tuesday by finishing off his second round, posting a score of 2-under 69 at Inverness Club.
Walsh began his final round with a bogey, then recorded six consecutive pars before going birdie, birdie on his eighth and ninth holes. After making par on holes 10 and 11, Walsh posted four consecutive birdies on holes 12 through 15 and added one more on the 17th hole.
Virginia tied for second place at the event with San Francisco. Both teams shot 2-over 286 during the final round and finished at 19-over 871. Tennessee took the team championship at 12-over 864.
UVA junior Andrew Orischak (Hilton Head Island, S.C.) was 11th for the Cavaliers at 6-over 219. He completed his second round with a 4-over 75 and shot 74 during the third round. Sophomore WeiWei Gao (Cebu City, Philippines) was 28th at 224. He carded a 74 for the second round and finished with a 1-over 72. Freshman David Morgan (Naples, Fla.) was 41st at 228 and junior Ashton Poole (Charlotte, N.C.) was in 58th place at 232. Sophomore Jimmie Massie (Lynchburg, Va.), who competed as an individual, tied for 28th at 224.
The Cavaliers return to action Oct. 12-14 at the Bank of Tennessee Intercollegiate in Johnson City, Tenn.
Par 71, 7,172 yards
1. Tennessee 285-289-290-864
2. Virginia 293-292-286-871
2. San Francisco 289-296-286-871
4. Santa Clara 293-294-285-872
5. St. Mary’s 303-300-288-891
5. Butler 296-293-302-891
7. Toledo 298-295-301-894
8. Louisiana 300-300-299-899
9. St. Bonaventure 299-309-295-903
9. Dayton 302-300-301-903
11. Fresno State 305-305-300-910
12. Mercer 301-311-306-918
1. Thomas Walsh, Virginia 71-69-65-205
2. Soren Lind, San Francisco 69-73-72-214
3. Spencer Cross, Tennessee 74-71-70-215
1. Thomas Walsh 71-69-65-205
11. Andrew Orischak 70-75-74-219
28. WeiWei Gao 78-74-72-224
41. David Morgan 74-79-75-228
58. Ashton Poole 81-74-77-232
28. Jimmie Massie* 73-76-75-224
* Competing as Individual