CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The Orange team exploded for eight runs in the fifth inning to claim game one of the Orange and Blue softball series on Thursday (Nov. 1).
After the two squads combined for just four hits over the first four innings, a leadoff triple off the bat of Molly Keshin (New Canaan, Conn.) sparked the eight-run frame. She would score the first run of the game on Arizona Ritchie’s (Stafford, Va.) sacrifice fly.
Another triple, this one off of senior Olivia Gott’s (Weston, Fla.) bat, was followed by a double from Ashlee Davis (Gilbert, Ariz.) and a single from Kate Covington (McLean, Va.) to extend the lead to 4-0.
Donna Friedman (Orange, Calif.) tacked on another run for Orange with an RBI-single down the left field line. Ritchie added an RBI-single of her own and a pair of runs scored on wild pitches to bring the score to 8-0.
Freshman Clare Zureich (Cary, N.C.) was dominant in the circle for the Blue team, tossing 4 2/3 scoreless innings. The southpaw fanned four and allowed just three hits, on the evening.
Another freshman, Aly Rayle (Herndon, Va.), picked up the win in relief for the Orange. Rayle tossed 2 1/3 innings of no-hit softball while allowing just a single baserunner in recording the decision.
• Gott finished 2-for-4 at the plate with a double and triple.
• Covington also finished 2-for-4 for the Orange team.
• Erika Osherow (Darien, Conn.) threw 3 2/3 scoreless innings in the start for Orange.
• Tabby Dabney (Mechanicsville, Va.) tossed a scoreless inning for Orange.
• Lacy Smith (Lancaster, Pa.) and Madi Wilson (Chesapeake, Va.) picked up hits for Blue.
The Orange and Blue series is scheduled to continue on Friday (Nov. 2) at 2:30 p.m.