CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va.- The Virginia men’s and women’s squash teams will compete in a combined six matches, four women’s matches and two men’s matches, over the weekend at McArthur Squash Center.
The No. 13 men’s team (0-1) will host its home opener against Richmond on Saturday at 1 p.m., before competing against No. 8 Princeton on Sunday at 12:30 p.m. The No. 12 women’s team will open its season Saturday, facing Richmond at noon, Georgetown at 1 p.m. and North Carolina at 2 p.m. The Cavalier women will compete against No. 3 Princeton at 12:30 p.m. on Sunday.
The matches will be streamed at Virginia Sports TV. Live scoring will be available with a paid subscription to Club Locker. Links to the video stream and live results can be found on VirginiaSports.com. Fans can also receive updates throughout the day by following the team’s official Twitter account (@UVASquash).
The Cavalier Men
• Virginia will look to bounce back from a 5-4 loss at Navy on Wednesday in the team’s season opener.
• Freshman Glenn Yates (Cape Town, South Africa) recorded his first win in a UVA uniform, capturing a 3-0 win in position eight.
• Jarett Odrich (Greenwich, Conn.), Grayson Bubrosky (New Canaan, Conn.) and Andrew Braff (Locust Valley, N.Y.) won their first matchups of the season, topping positions five, six and seven, respectively.
The Virginia Women
• The women’s team will open its season on Saturday, hosting club programs Richmond, Georgetown and North Carolina.
• Virginia finished last year as the No. 13 team in the final CSA rankings. The team won the consolation finals of the Kurtz Cup, placing fifth in the B Division of the CSA National Championships.
• Three returning Cavaliers competed at the CSA Individual Championships. Junior Tara Arya (Cupertino, Calif.), senior Annie Tyson (Flourtown, Pa.) and sophomore Emily Woodworth (Weston, Mass.) represented the Cavaliers in the tournament.
• Both teams will face Richmond on Saturday as the program’s first matchup in the Cavaliers’ new facility. Last season, Richmond and the Cavalier men met twice with Virginia sweeping both matches 9-0. This will be the first meeting on the women’s side.
• The Virginia women defeated both Georgetown and North Carolina last season 9-0.
• Princeton enters the match ranked in the top 10 on both sides with the women ranking No. 3 in the preseason poll and the men ranking No. 8.
• The Tigers will open their season against the Cavaliers. Last year, Princeton finished eighth in the men’s CSA National Championships, competing in the A Division. The women’s team finished third in the Howe Cup, the A Division of the CSA Individual Championships.
• The men finished the season with a 9-9 record, while the women went 15-2 on the year.
• Princeton swept Virginia in hard-fought matches last season, defeating both the Cavalier men and women 9-0.