CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va.- The Virginia men’s and women’s squash teams will compete against Fordham, Columbia, Cornell and New York in matches over the weekend.
The No. 12 Cavalier women (3-4) will face Fordham (1-4) on Friday at the Lombardi Squash Courts in Bronx, N.Y., at 6 p.m., while the No. 12 Cavalier men (2-3) will compete against the Rams (6-3) after the conclusion of the women’s match. Virginia will compete in two matches on Saturday, opening with the No. 3 Columbia men (0-0) and the No. 7 Lion women (0-0) at noon before playing the No. 16 Cornell men (1-1) and the No. 8 Big Red women (1-0) at 5:30 p.m. The Cavaliers will conclude the weekend with New York University (0-0; 0-0) on Sunday at 9:30 a.m. The matches on Saturday and Sunday will be played at Columbia’s SL Green StreetSquash.
Fans can follow the action with Live Scoring with a free subscription to Club Locker. Links to Live Scoring can be found on VirginiaSports.com.
• After a week break, the Cavaliers return to action after last facing a combined five top-15 opponents. The women fell to Drexel, 6-3, and Stanford, 8-1, before being edged by Pennsylvania, 5-4. The men’s team dropped 6-3 to Drexel and 9-0 to Pennsylvania.
• Five members from the women’s team recorded wins against the ranked opponents with Giovanna Veiga de Almeida (Belo Horizonte, Brazil) and Elle Carroll (New York, N.Y.) both recording a pair of weekend victories with wins against Drexel and Pennsylvania.
• Glenn Yates (Cape Town, South Africa), Andrew Braff (Locust Valley, N.Y.) and Henry Woodworth (Weston, Mass.) led the men’s team with wins in the Cavaliers’ matchup against Drexel.
• The Rams enter the match with a 6-3 men’s record and a 1-4 women’s record. The Fordham men captured victories against Vassar, Lehigh, Bryant and Johns Hopkins, in addition to defeating Boston twice. The women’s team won its matchup against Bard.
• This is the second consecutive meeting between the Cavalier women and the Rams. Virginia swept Fordham 9-0 at the Virginia Home Round Robin last season.
• Columbia will open its season this weekend after concluding the Ivy Scrimmages (Nov. 5) at the beginning of the month. The men’s team finished fourth and the women’s team placed fifth in the tournament scrimmage.
• Columbia defeated Virginia in last year’s matches, topping the UVA women 9-0 and the Virginia men 8-1. James Dudzik (Greenwich, Conn.) recorded the team’s lone win with a 3-1 victory in position eight.
• Cornell’s women opened the season with an 8-1 victory over Williams, while its men’s team swept Williams 9-0 after suffering an 8-1 loss to Rochester.
• Last season, Virginia upset the No. 12 Big Red 5-4 with returning Cavaliers Jarett Odrich (Greenwich, Conn.), William Braff (Locust Valley, N.Y.), Grayson Bubrosky (New Canaan, Conn.) and Killian Bubrosky (New Canaan, Conn.) recording wins.
• The Cavalier women fell 8-1in the match as former UVA player Carey Danforth captured the lone point.
New York University
• The Violets open their season on Saturday, competing against Washington University in St. Louis and Fordham, before facing the Cavaliers in matches on Sunday.
• This is the first meeting between the two teams since Virginia became a varsity sport in 2017.
• New York University finished the 2017-18 campaign as the No. 33 men’s team, while the Violets were unranked on the women’s side.