CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va.– The Virginia men’s and women’s squash teams will open 2019 with weekend matches, traveling to face Williams at a neutral site match on Saturday (Jan. 19) in Annapolis, Md., before returning home on Sunday (Jan. 20) to compete against Dickinson at the McArthur Squash Center.
The No. 11 Virginia women’s (6-5) match against No. 13 Williams (8-6) will begin at 3 p.m., while the No. 13 men’s (5-4) match against the No. 21 Ephs (7-5) will follow at 5 p.m. Both Cavalier matches against the No. 19 Dickinson men (3-7) and No. 17 Dickinson (5-4) women will start at 4 p.m.
Links to live scoring and a video stream will be available for Sunday’s match against Dickinson. Fans can also follow the action on the team’s official Twitter account (@UVASquash).
Last Time Out
• The Cavaliers capped 2018, finishing the year with a 3-1 record in its last weekend of competition. Both programs recorded wins against Cornell, Fordham and New York, while suffering a loss to Columbia.
• The women’s team upset Cornell 6-3, while the men edged the Big Red 5-4.
• Last season, the women’s team topped the Ephs during the regular season, winning the neutral site match 5-4, before suffering a 5-4 loss to Williams during the Kurtz Cup.
• The two teams met once on the men’s side with the Cavaliers coming away with a 7-2 win.
• Williams enters the weekend with its men coming off a three-game winning streak after opening the new year with wins over Bowdoin, Bates and Colby, while the women captured wins against Bowdoin, Bates, Colby and Mount Holyoke.
• The Ephs will play Franklin & Marshall prior to the Cavaliers, traveling to face the Diplomats on Friday.
• The Cavaliers opened the 2017-18 season against the Red Devils with the men’s team falling 7-2, while the women’s team captured an 8-1 victory.
• Dickinson enters the weekend after both programs suffered a loss to Tufts, Brown and Amherst earlier this week.