CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va.- The men’s and women’s squash teams will compete in four matches over three days beginning on Friday (Jan. 25).
The No. 11 Virginia women (8-5) and No. 14 Cavalier men (7-4) will face the No. 23 Colby women (3-7) and No. 26 Mule men (3-6) on Friday at 6:30 p.m. at Franklin and Marshall’s Mayser Squash Courts. On Saturday, Virginia will open with a match against home team and the 20th-ranked Franklin and Marshall women (4-4) and 17th-ranked Diplomat men (7-3) at 10 a.m., before facing the No. 14 Middlebury women (8-2) and No. 18 Panther men (9-2) at 3 p.m. at Lancaster Country Day School.
The Cavaliers will return home on Sunday hosting Yale, who enters as the No. 4 women’s team (5-3) and No. 7 men’s team (6-3), at the McArthur Squash Center.
Follow the Action
• The Cavaliers match against Franklin and Marshall on Saturday will be streamed as well as the team’s home match against Yale on Sunday.
• Fans can access links to the stream and live scoring at VirginiaSports.com.
Last Time Out
• Both Cavalier teams are 2-0 in 2019 after sweeping both Williams (Jan. 19) and George Washington (Jan. 23) in matches.
• Virginia defeated George Washington at the McArthur Squash Center on Wednesday (Jan. 23). The men topped the Colonials 6-3, while the women’s team defeated George Washington 7-2.
• With the victory, the Cavaliers won the Washington-Jefferson Cup for the first time in program history.
• The Cavaliers will face Colby for the first time since becoming a varsity program in 2017-18.
• The Colby men fell in their last match as the team suffered a 5-4 loss to Bowdoin. The women topped Bowdoin 8-1 to snap a five-match losing streak.
Against Franklin and Marshall
• Both Cavalier teams topped Franklin and Marshall last season with the women recording an 8-1 win, while the men topped the Diplomats 5-4.
• The Diplomats fell in their last matchup, dropping on both sides of play to Williams. Franklin and Marshall fell to the Ephs 5-4 on the men’s side and 9-0 on the women’s side.
• Against Middlebury, the Cavaliers edged the Panthers 5-4 last season in the men’s match, while the Virginia women won 8-1 during the regular season. The women also met during the Kurtz Cup with Virginia coming away with a 7-2 win.
•Middlebury captured its seventh consecutive men’s win, edging Brown 5-4 in its last match. The women fell to Brown, 9-0.
• Virginia welcomes Yale to the McArthur Squash Center as the two teams will meet for the first time since the Cavalier squash teams became a varsity sport last season.
• Yale is coming off a loss to Trinity as the women fell 8-1 and the men fell 7-2 to the two-time defending national champions.