CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va.- The Virginia men’s and women’s squash teams will host the three-day Mid-Atlantic Team Tournament beginning on Friday (Feb. 1) at the McArthur Squash Center.
The round-robin competition will open with the No. 10 Cavalier men (10-5) facing No. 19 MIT (12-3) on Friday night at 6 p.m. The team will compete in two matches on Saturday as the men host No. 25 Dickinson (3-8) at 10 a.m. and No. 15 George Washington (7-10) at 6 p.m., before concluding the weekend with No. 16 Franklin and Marshall (10-4) in a 1:30 p.m. match on Sunday.
The No. 9 Virginia women (11-6) will host No. 20 Franklin and Marshall (5-7) and No. 18 Dickinson (5-5) on Saturday at 12 p.m. and 4 p.m., respectively. The team will face No. 15 George Washington (2-11) at 11:30 a.m. on Sunday.
How to Follow
• Fans can follow the action with a free subscription to Club Locker. The match will also be streamed on Virginia Sports TV.
• Links to the stream and to live scoring can be found at VirginiaSports.com. Updates throughout the matches will also be available on the team’s official Twitter account (@UVASquash).
• The Cavaliers will face a top-25 competitor in every matchup this weekend.
• Virginia enters as the top team on both sides of play as the women enter as the ninth-ranked team nationally, while the men are the 10th-ranked program.
• Both programs concluded a four-match weekend with a 3-1 record. The women swept Colby, Franklin and Marshall and Middlebury, 9-0, before suffering a 7-2 loss to Yale. The men swept Colby 9-0, before grabbing 5-4 victories against the Diplomats and Panthers. The men concluded the weekend with a 9-0 loss to the Bulldogs.
• This is the first time this season that the Cavalier men and the Engineers have met.
• The two programs played last season with Virginia recording a 7-2 win. Three Cavaliers swept their matchups as senior Grayson Bubrosky (New Canaan, Conn.), sophomore Matthew Katz (Baltimore, Md.) and junior Harrison Kapp (Philadelphia, Pa.) won 3-0 against their foe.
• The Engineers enter on a six-game winning streak with the team’s most recent victory coming against No. 20 Bates.
Against Franklin and Marshall
• The Cavaliers battled Franklin and Marshall last weekend at the Diplomats’ Mayser Squash Courts. Both Cavalier programs captured wins as the women swept the match, 9-0, and the men edged the Diplomats 5-4.
• Franklin and Marshall’s men concluded last weekend with a 3-1 record with wins over Colby, Cornell and Middlebury.
• The Diplomat women went 1-3 in its last four matches with the program’s lone win coming against Colby. Franklin and Marshall fell to Cornell and Middlebury.
• This will be the first meeting between the two teams this season after a winter snow storm cancelled a match scheduled between the two programs earlier this month.
• The Cavaliers faced the Red Devils in the teams’ first matches as a varsity team. The women came away with an 8-1 victory, while the men suffered a 7-2 loss.
• Dickinson has dropped its last four matches on both sides as both the men’s and women’s program suffered losses to Brown, Tufts, Amherst and Middlebury.
Against George Washington
• The two programs competed a week ago (Jan. 23) with Virginia topping both matches and clinching the Washington-Jefferson Cup for the first time in program history.
• The women defeated the Colonials 7-2, while the men won 6-3.
• Since the match with the Cavaliers, George Washington has suffered a loss to Yale and Columbia on both sides of competition.