CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The No. 16 Virginia women’s lacrosse team (0-0) opens the 2019 season at home, hosting No. 13 Navy (0-0) at Klöckner Stadium on Saturday.
HOW TO WATCH
Saturday’s game will be streamed live on ACC Network Extra through ESPN3 or the WatchESPN app. Follow live updates on Twitter through @UVAWomensLax.
Fans attending Saturday’s 1 p.m. women’s lacrosse match vs. Navy can park in the Blue Lots adjacent to the McCue Center and University Hall or John Paul Jones Arena lot. All lots must be vacated by 3:30 p.m. Towing will be enforced in those areas starting at 3:30 p.m.
Admission to Saturday’s game will be free by showing a Virginia men’s basketball vs. Duke ticket. There will also be 1,000 tickets given away at ESPN’s College GameDay set for 11 a.m. in John Paul Jones Arena on Saturday.
- Virginia advanced to the NCAA second round in 2018.
- 12 of UVA’s 17 opponents are ranked in the IWLCA Preseason Top 25.
- The Cavaliers have three of their top four scorers back from last season, including All-American Sammy Mueller (Pelham, N.Y.).
- Mueller, a junior, led UVA with 74 points on 59 goals and 15 assists. Mueller scored multiple goals in 17 games.
- Senior Avery Shoemaker (Wyndmoor, Pa.) had 62 points on 51 goals and 11 assists in 2018. Shoemaker recorded 16 multiple goal games and 12 hat tricks.
- Senior Kaitlin Luzik (Alexandria, Va.) led the Cavaliers with 35 caused turnovers and was second with 46 ground balls.
- Senior Maggie Jackson (Alexandria, Va.) had a team-high 97 draw controls, tying the UVA single-season record. Jackson was second on the team with 64 points (32 goals, 32 assists).
- This will be the fifth meeting between Navy and Virginia.
- UVA leads the series 3-1 and is 2-0 in games played at Klöckner.
- The Midshipmen won last year’s meeting, 16-13, in Annapolis, Md.
- Every game of the series has been decided by four goals or less.
- This is the first time the teams have met before the month of April.
- Navy was picked to finish second in the Patriot League Preseason Poll.
- The Midshipmen had three players selected to the Preseason All-Patriot League Team.
- Kelly Larkin, a two-time Inside Lacrosse All-American, returns as the top scorer for the Midshipmen. Larkin has 225 total points (116 goals and 109 assists).
- Marie Valenti returns on defense after leading Navy with 33 caused turnovers in 2018.
- Last season, Navy won the Patriot League tournament title and advanced to the quarterfinals of the NCAA Tournament.
Fans can purchase tickets single game tickets in advance on VirginiaSports.com or by calling the Virginia Ticket office at 800-542-UVA1 (8821) or 434-924-UVA1 (8821). Advanced tickets are $8 (reserved) and $5 (general admission). Tickets at the gate will be $10 (reserved) and $8 (general admission).
Virginia will begin its first of two straight road games as it travels to Elon on Saturday, Feb. 16 for a 1 p.m. opening draw.