BOCA RATON, Fla. – For the second consecutive game, Virginia (0-5) dropped a one-run decision, falling 4-3 to St. John’s (2-3) to close the FAU First Pitch Classic at the FAU Softball Stadium.
Erika Osherow (Darien, Conn.) got the Cavaliers off to a quick start with a two-run home run in the first inning. Osherow made the start in the circle, but Lacy Smith (Lancaster, Pa.) took the tough luck loss in relief. Smith (0-1) allowed an unearned run on two hits in 1 2/3 innings.
After Virginia tied the game in the top of the sixth, St John’s used a walk and a single to put two aboard with one out in the bottom half. The Red Storm would retake the lead on a Cavalier error. The marker would be all St. John’s would need to seal the win.
• A lead-off triple by Hayley Busby (Phoenix, Ariz.) was followed by a two-run home run off the bat of Osherow to open the game.
• St. John’s used a lead-off triple of its own, coming off the bat of Amelia Ditolvo, in the first inning to tie the game at 2-2.
• The Red Storm took its first lead of the game with an RBI-single from Ditolvo in the fifth.
• Arizona Ritchie (Stafford, Va.) tied the game back up with a sacrifice fly in the top of the sixth.
ON THE LINES
• Busby finished the day 2-for-4 with a pair of runs scored.
• Ritchie added a hit to her sacrifice fly for a 1-for-2 game with an RBI.
• Osherow went 4 1/3 innings and allowing three runs, all earned, on four hits. She fanned four batters in her outing.
• Freshmen Abigail Barber (Providence Forge, Va.) and Bailey Winscott (Clinton, Miss.) each went 1-for-3.
• Ritchie added her second career RBI and finished the weekend with a team-leading .400 average.
Virginia travels to the Elon Softball February Classic next weekend (Feb. 15-17) for five games. The Cavaliers will face Northern Kentucky, Hampton, NC Central and host Elon.