ELON, N.C. – Freshman Donna Friedman (Orange, Calif.) drove in four runs to lead Virginia (3-5) to a 7-3 victory over Elon (5-3) on Saturday (Feb. 16) afternoon at Hunt Softball Park.
Friedman finished the day 2-for-4 at the plate as the Cavaliers belted 12 hits to surge past the Phoenix. After falling behind 2-0 in the first, Virginia held Elon without a run until the final frame of the game.
Lacy Smith (Lancaster, Pa.) came out of the bullpen to fire 1 2/3 innings of scoreless ball to earn the win. Smith (1-1) did not allow a hit in the outing.
“I’m really proud of how gritty the kids have been,” said head coach Joanna Hardin. “Today was a team win. We had pinch-runners come in and do an excellent job, we executed at the plate and pitchers made some big pitches when we needed them to. We’re starting to put it together in all three phases.”
Leading 4-2 in the top of the fifth, Olivia Gott (Weston, Fla.) led off the frame with a triple to right center field. Friedman followed with her first collegiate home run, a no-doubter to left center, to extend the lead to 6-2. Virginia never looked back in cruising to the 7-3 victory.
• A pair of walks in the bottom of the first loaded the bases and Elon’s Keagan Goldwait flared a two-run single into right field to give the Phoenix an early lead.
• Virginia responded in the third with RBI singles off the bats of Gott and Friedman to tie the game.
• The Cavaliers took their first lead of the game with a pair of runs in the fourth. Hayley Busby (Phoenix, Ariz.) doubled and Erika Osherow (Darien, Conn.) lifted a sac fly to drive home the runs.
• Virginia extended its lead in the fifth as Friedman launched a two-run shot to make it 6-2.
• Friedman added another RBI and insurance run with a ground out in the seventh.
ON THE LINES
• Ashlee Davis (Gilbert, Ariz.) had a pair of doubles for the first time in her UVA career. She finished 3-for-3 on the day.
• Gott finished the game 2-for-3 with two runs scored and an RBI. Her triple was the first of her Virginia career.
• Kate Covington (McLean, Va.) and Busby each added two-hit performances.
• Allyson Frei (Branchville, N.J.) made the start and worked 3 1/3 innings allowing two runs.
• Freshman Clare Zureich (Cary, N.C.) worked the final two innings to close out the Phoenix, allowing a single run on a wild pitch.
• Molly Keshin (New Canaan, Conn.) swiped her seventh bag of the season.
Virginia is slated to wrap the Elon Softball February Classic on Sunday with games against Northern Kentucky and NC Central. The games are scheduled for 10 a.m. and 12:15 p.m. starts, respectively.