KNOXVILLE, Tenn. – Virginia (4-7) dropped a pair of games to open play at the Tennessee Classic on Sunday (Feb. 24). The Cavaliers fell 5-2 to Kansas (3-10) before dropping an 11-1 game against No. 7 Tennessee (10-2).
GAME 1: Kansas 5, Virginia 2
Virginia starter Allyson Frei (Branchville, N.J.) scattered four singles over six innings of work, but five walks and a pair of hit batters proved costly in the opening game of the Tennessee Classic. Kansas plated five runs, all earned, on five hits to take a 5-2 decision.
Kansas scored three times in the top of the fourth inning. A pair of walks helped the Jayhawks take the 3-0 lead despite having just three singles in the frame. The three runs proved to be all Kansas would need on the day.
• Kansas opened the scoring in the top of the fourth. An infield single and bloop-single to right scored a run before the Jayhawks tacked on two more with a single from Shelby Hughston.
• Abigail Barber (Providence Forge, Va.) got Virginia on the board with her solo shot in the bottom of the fifth, cutting the deficit to 3-1.
• The Jayhawks extended their lead with a pair of runs in the top of the seventh, scoring on a wild pitch and single from pitcher Brynn Minor.
• Virginia loaded the bases and pushed a run across in the seventh on an RBI-groundout from Ashlee Davis (Gilbert, Ariz.).
ON THE LINES
• Frei (1-3) was charged with the loss, going six innings and allowing five runs on four hits.
• Virginia was limited to just four hits in the game. Barber, Donna Friedman (Orange, Calif.), Hayley Busby (Phoenix, Ariz.) and Olivia Gott (Weston, Fla.) all had 1-for-3 games.
• Aly Rayle (Herndon, Va.) worked an inning in relief, allowing a hit and a walk.
GAME 2: No. 7 Tennesseec 11, Virginia 1 (5 Inn.)
No. 7 Tennessee used a five-run first inning to take control right out of the gate and cruise to an 11-1 victory. Matty Moss (3-1) earned the win in the circle for the Lady Vols, holding the Cavaliers to just a pair of hits on the afternoon.
Tennessee scored five times in the bottom of the first inning on four hits. Three consecutive singles plated a pair before Kaili Phillips uncorked a three-run home run to center with two outs.
• Four hits plated five runs for the Lady Vols in the bottom of the first inning. Phillips’ home run capped the big frame.
• A bunt-single from Aubrey Leach created a throwing error to plate another Tennessee run in the second. Leach would later score on a wild pitch, making it a 7-0 game.
• A bases-loaded walk added another run for Tennessee before the Cavaliers could get out of the inning.
• Hayley Busby launched her second home run of the season, a high-towering shot off the scoreboard in left center to give the Cavaliers their only run of the game in the top of the third.
• Tennessee answered back with a pair of runs in the bottom half, both crossing on wild pitches.
• A groundout in the fourth would plate another Lady Vol and provide the final margin of 11-1.
ON THE LINES
• Busby’s home run was her team-leading eighth extra-base hit of the year.
• Lacy Smith (Lancaster, Pa.) produced Virginia’s only other hit of the afternoon with a single in the top of the first inning.
• Erika Osherow (Darien, Conn.) took the loss in the circle, working three innings over the course of the game.
Virginia concludes the Tennessee Classic on Monday (Feb. 25) with matchups against Bradley and Tennessee.