CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – Virginia softball (16-17) travels to Liberty (23-13) on Tuesday (April 2) to kick-off an eight-game road trip for the Cavaliers in a 6 p.m. first pitch from Kamphuis Field at Liberty Softball Stadium.
The matchup is the first leg of a home-and-home series between the Cavaliers and Flames. The two will meet at The Park on April 16.
Tuesday’s game will air on ESPN+. Links to the broadcast and live stats are available on VirginiaSports.com.
• Senior Lacy Smith (Lancaster, Pa.) tied the Virginia school record for single-season home runs on Saturday, hitting her 13th of the year.
• Tuesday night marks the beginning of an eight-game road trip for Virginia, as the Hoos head to UNC, Longwood and Virginia Tech over the next two weeks.
• Senior Olivia Gott (Weston, Fla.) has homered in back-to-back games heading into Tuesday.
BUZZING FOR TWO
• Sophomore Hayley Busby (Phoenix, Ariz.) has recorded 12 doubles on the season thus far, tying her total for all of 2018.
• She ranks second in the ACC in doubles and 17th in the country.
• At her current pace, she could threaten the program record of 19 doubles in a single season.
• Senior Lacy Smith leads the Cavaliers in batting average, RBI, home runs, slugging and on-base percentage.
• She hit her ninth home run of the year at Furman (3/13) to set a new career high in just 22 games.
• Smith now has 13 home runs on the season to tie Kristen Dennis’ record set in 2002.
• She produced a career-day in the finale at Georgia Tech with a 4-for-4 performance including a home run and double.
• Her solo home run in the finale at Georgia Tech set a career high as her 29th RBI of the season. She now has 32 and is on pace to challenge the school record for RBI in a single season, set at 58 by Kristen Dennis in 2002.
• Her hot-hitting earned her ACC Player of the Week honors after the ACC-opening sweep of Pitt.
IN THE RANKINGS
• Virginia ranks 24th in the country in HR/G averaging 1.21. The mark is fourth in the ACC.
• Virginia is 31st in slugging percentage at .499 on the season.
• Lacy Smith ranks 11th nationally in home runs and is second in the ACC with her 13.
• At .865, Smith is 19th in the country and first in the ACC in slugging percentage.
• Smith is 12th in the country with her 90 total bases.
• Hayley Busby is 17th in the country in doubles with a dozen on the season.
• Tuesday’s meeting is the front end of a home-and-home between the Cavaliers and Flames in 2019.
• Virginia holds a 46-24 edge in the all-time series against Liberty, but the Flames have won four-straight.
• Liberty swept doubleheaders from the Hoos in 2017 and 2018.
• Virginia is 15-12 all-time against the Flames in Lynchburg.
Virginia returns to ACC play with a three-game series at North Carolina, beginning on Friday (April 5).