LYNCHBURG, Va. – Virginia (16-18) and Liberty (24-13) combined for just seven hits on Tuesday (April 2), as the Cavaliers fell 2-0 to the Flames at Kamphuis Field.
Freshman Aly Rayle (Herndon, Va.) went the distance for the Cavaliers, tossing her first complete game. The right-hander was stellar, allowing just two runs on four hits, but took the loss as Virginia was unable to provide any run support.
Chase Cassady (8-1) earned the win for Liberty with her complete-game shutout. Cassady limited Virginia to three hits while striking out seven.
After a tough call in the top half of the third ended a potential Virginia threat, a single and two hit-by-pitches loaded the bases for Liberty in the bottom half. With two outs, a swinging bunt from Sarah Robertson scored one run and extended the Flames’ lead to 2-0.
• Amber Bishop put Liberty ahead in the first inning with a solo home run to center field.
• A two-out, bases-loaded infield single extended Liberty’s lead to 2-0 in the third inning.
ON THE LINES
• Senior Lacy Smith (Lancaster, Pa.) singled and finished 1-for-3 at the plate.
• Sophomore Kate Covington (McLean, Va.) had a pair of singles in the game for Virginia.
• Rayle’s six innings mark the second-longest outing of her career.
Virginia continues its road trip by traveling to North Carolina for a three-game ACC series beginning Friday (April 5).