CHAPEL HILL, N.C. – North Carolina (20-13, 9-4 ACC) rode a 14-hit performance to take the series opener 8-0 over Virginia (16-19, 5-8 ACC) in five innings on Saturday (April 6) at Anderson Stadium.
Freshman Aly Rayle (Herndon, Va.) took the loss for the Cavaliers, working 2 1/3 innings while being charged with four runs. The loss drops Rayle to 6-5 on the season.
Brittany Pickett (12-7) earned the win for North Carolina. She held Virginia to just two hits in recording her third shutout of the season.
Three consecutive two-out hits plated a pair of runs for the Tar Heels in the second inning. A one-out bunt single placed the first runner aboard before Rayle recorded a groundout for out number two. Campbell Hutcherson provided the initial damage with a double to left center. Back-to-back singles to the left side plated another run before the Cavaliers could escape the inning.
• Campbell’s two-out double and a Leah Murray infield single plated two runs for the Tar Heels in the second.
• Megan Dray lifted a solo home run and Berlynne Delamora singled home a run in the third to extend Carolina’s lead to 4-0.
• Carolina built its lead to 6-0 with a two-out, two-run double in the fifth from Zoe Goodman and walked off with the run-rule win on Kiani Ramsey’s double to center.
ON THE LINES
• Olivia Gott (Weston, Fla.) caught back-to-back Tar Heels attempting to steal in the fourth inning.
• Lacy Smith (Lancaster, Pa.) doubled in the first for her 1-for-2 day at the plate.
• Gott singled in her second trip for Virginia’s only other hit of the afternoon.
Virginia and North Carolina finish the series with a doubleheader on Sunday (April 7) at noon.