FARMVILLE, Va. – Big innings proved costly for Virginia (16-22) on Tuesday night (April 9), as the Cavaliers fell 11-6 at Longwood (25-13) in midweek action.
The Lancers scored three or more runs in three separate innings to secure the win. Aly Rayle (Herndon, Va.) took the loss after working the first two innings in the circle.
After Virginia scored five in the top of the sixth to pull within two runs, Longwood answered with four in its half to seal the game. An overturned call at the plate gave the Lancers their first run of the inning before a pair of singles and double steal built the lead to 11-5.
• Jenna Dunn had an RBI-single and Leah Powell laid down a safety squeeze in a three-run first for Longwood.
• A miscue on a bunt in the second inning led to a three-run homer from Jordan Clark, extending Longwood’s lead to 6-0.
• A pair of two-out singles in the bottom of the fifth scored another run for the Lancers.
• Lacy Smith (Lancaster, Pa.) doubled in the sixth to plate Virginia’s first run of the night. Tori Gilbert (Mechanicsville, Va.) and Abigail Barber (Providence Forge, Va.) added RBI-doubles to cut the deficit to 7-5.
• Longwood answered with four runs in the bottom half as a pair of tough calls broke against the Cavaliers.
• Gilbert added another RBI with her single in the seventh.
ON THE LINES
• Freshman Bailey Winscott (Clinton, Miss.) singled through the right side in the third inning for Virginia’s first hit of the game.
• Virginia’s five-run sixth broke a string of 27-consecutive scoreless innings for the Cavaliers.
• Freshman Donna Friedman (Orange, Calif.) had an RBI-single in the sixth as part of a 2-for-4 night.
• Gilbert’s three runs driven in matches her career high.
Virginia caps its eight-game road trip with a three-game ACC series at Virginia Tech over the weekend. The series is part of the Commonwealth Clash presented by Virginia529.