CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – Senior Erika Osherow (Darien, Conn.) tossed five innings in the circle and provided the game-winning run to lead Virginia (17-25) past Liberty (30-16) by a 4-3 final on Tuesday night (April 16).
Osherow (2-2) allowed just a single run in her start while scattering six Liberty singles. She plated the eventual winning run in the bottom of the sixth with a single to right field. It was her second RBI of the night.
Allyson Frei (Branchville, N.J.) earned her career-best third save in the victory. The graduate student worked 1 2/3 innings and allowed an unearned run on a single hit. She struck out a pair to close the door.
Virginia jumped on Liberty early with a three-run first inning. Hayley Busby (Phoenix, Ariz.) led the game off with a single and Lacy Smith (Lancaster, Pa.) promptly scored her with an RBI-double off the center field wall. Osherow added a second run as her ground ball to short plated Smith. Arizona Ritchie (Stafford, Va.) pushed across the third run of the inning with a two-out, bases-loaded walk.
• Smith’s double sparked a three-run first inning as the Cavaliers batted around to open the game.
• Liberty used four singles to score a pair of runs in the top of the sixth to cut the lead to 3-2. Sarah Robertson and Alexis Erich had the RBI-knocks for the Flames.
• Kate Covington (McLean, Va.) legged out an infield single and later scored on Osherow’s single to right to provide an insurance run in the bottom of the sixth.
• A pair of Virginia errors helped Liberty plate a run in the seventh before Frei slammed the door to preserve the victory.
ON THE LINES
• The start was Osherow’s first since March 1 when she earned the win over Buffalo.
• Smith finished 2-for-3 at the plate with both hits being doubles.
• Osherow went 1-for-3 at the plate with two RBI.
• Abigail Barber (Providence Forge, Va.) went 2-for-3 with a double.
• Emily Kirby took the loss for Liberty, allowing three runs in the first inning.
Virginia welcomes Notre Dame to The Park for a three-game ACC series beginning Friday, April 19.