CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The No. 8 Virginia field hockey team (8-3, 1-2 ACC) suffered a 1-0 loss to No. 17 Boston College (5-5, 2-1 ACC) on Friday (Oct. 4) at Turf Field in Charlottesville, Va.
HOW IT HAPPENED
Boston College scored the lone goal of the game with six seconds remaining in the first quarter by converting a penalty corner.
FROM HEAD COACH MICHELE MADISON
“We needed a better start to the game. We had a good week of practice, but it didn’t translate onto the field today. We had some opportunities in the circle, but we didn’t capitalize. We need to shake this one off and get back to work tomorrow to prepare for Old Dominion on Sunday.”
- Boston College took seven shots of the game, five of those came in the first 2:34 of the contest
- Virginia held a 10-7 edge in shots, but both teams only took three shots on goal apiece
- Virginia pulled its goalie and played with an empty net for the final 1:21 of the game
- Fusine Govaert scored Boston College’s goal, with assists by Darcy Clement and Margo Carlin
- Redshirt sophomore goalie Lauren Hausheer (West Windsor, N.J.) had two saves. Boston College’s Sarah Dwyer made three saves
- This was the second time Virginia has been shut out this season
- There were zero cards issued in the game
- The Cavaliers close out the weekend by hosting No. 22 Old Dominion (5-3, 1-1 BIG EAST) on Sunday, Oct. 6 at 1 p.m.
- Sunday’s game is an ACCNX contest, which streams live on the ESPN app and is available through participating TV providers that carry ACCN
- Live stats will be available through VirginiaSports.com