CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va.- The Virginia men’s and women’s squash teams will battle Franklin & Marshall, Richmond and the men’s team from North Carolina in matches on Saturday (Nov. 2) as the Cavaliers open the 2019-20 season at the McArthur Squash Center.
Both teams will compete against Franklin and Marshall at 11 a.m. and Richmond at 3 p.m. The Cavalier men will face North Carolina at 5 p.m. The women’s match against the Tar Heels, originally schedule for 5 p.m., has been cancelled.
How to Follow
Fans can watch a stream of the matches on VirginiaSports.TV. Links to the stream and to live scoring, available with a paid subscription to Club Locker, are available at VirginiaSports.com. Updates throughout the match will be provided on the team’s official Twitter account (@UVAsquash).
The Season Start
• The Cavaliers will open the 2019-20 season at home, hosting the men’s and women’s teams from Franklin & Marshall and Richmond, and the men’s team from North Carolina.
• It’s the first time the men’s team has opened the season at home since becoming a varsity program at Virginia in 2017.
• The women’s team hosted Richmond, North Carolina and Georgetown in its opening weekend last year.
Facing Franklin & Marshall
• The men have battled the Diplomats four times since becoming a varsity program in 2017, while the women’s team has faced Franklin & Marshall three times.
• The men’s team holds a 4-0 record against the Diplomats, including winning the only match played in Charlottesville. The two teams met three times during the 2018-19 season with two matches being played during the post season at the Mid-Atlantic Squash Championships and the College Squash Association Championships.
• The Cavaliers have won all four of the men’s matches against F&M, 5-4.
• The women battled Franklin & Marshall twice during the 2019-20 season, winning both matchups 9-0. The last meeting between the two teams was in the Mid-Atlantic Squash Championships.
• The Cavalier women have only given up one point to the Diplomats since becoming a varsity program in 2017, winning 8-1 against Franklin & Marshall in a road match in November of 2017 in Lancaster, Pa.
• The Virginia women’s team and Richmond will compete for the second consecutive year on opening weekend. The 9-0 Virginia win is the only meeting between the two teams on the women’s side.
• The two teams have competed three times on the men’s side with Virginia winning all three home matches in a 9-0 victory.
Against the Tar Heels
• The men’s team battled the Tar Heels twice during the 2017-18 season with Virginia winning both meetings in a 9-0 victory.
• The two teams did not compete last year.
Capping the 2018-19 season
• The Cavaliers concluded last year with the women’s team ranking 11th in the final College Squash Association’s end-of-year rankings, while the men’s team finished as the 12th ranked team.
• Both programs won the inaugural Mid-Atlantic Squash Championships.
• The women’s team finished third at the Kurtz Cup, while the men’s team finished fourth in the Hoehn Cup.
• Two Cavaliers earned an end-of-year individual ranking as Emma Jinks (Stratford, Prince Edward Island) and Patrick McElroy (Brookline, Mass.) concluded their first collegiate season ranked 21st and 29th, respectively.