CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – Sophomore Aly Rayle (Herndon, Va.) and graduate transfer Riley Wilkinson (Fairfax Station, Va.) combined for a four-hit shutout effort in the circle as Team Blue claimed an 8-0 victory in game one of Virginia softball’s Orange and Blue Series.
Bailey Winscott (Clinton, Miss.), Arizona Ritchie (Stafford, Va.) and Ashley Jennings (Forest, Va.) all had a pair of RBI to lead the Blue squad. Winscott finished 3-for-4 with a double and a triple at the top of the order.
Blue batted around and put up five runs in the sixth inning to break the game open. Jennings led off with a single and later scored on Winscott’s infield single to short. Ritchie followed with a two-run gapper to left center before Jennings also delivered a two-run double to put Blue up 8-0.
• Junior Savana Avilla (Phoenix, Ariz.) delivered the game’s first run with a two-out, RBI-single to left field in the second inning. Junior Molly Keshin (New Canaan, Conn.) scored on the play after legging out an infield single.
• A wild pitch scored one and Winscott lifted a sac fly to extend Blue’s lead to 3-0.
• Blue’s five-run sixth produced the final margin of 8-0.
IN THE CIRCLE
• Rayle started for Blue and tossed three scoreless innings, scattering two hits.
• Wilkinson worked four innings in relief to earn the win for Blue, allowing two hits while fanning four.
• Freshman Mackenzie Wooten (Windsor, Va.) took the loss for the Orange team, allowing a single run in four innings of work.
• Jennings finished 3-for-5 at the dish to join Winscott in having three-hit days.
• Avilla and Rayle each had two-hit games and scored a run.
• Freshman Katie Goldberg finished 1-for-3 at the top of the Orange lineup.
• Sophomores Abigail Barger (Providence Forge, Va.), Emma McBride (Magnolia, Texas) and freshman Mikaila Fox (Ocean Springs, Miss.) had base knocks for Orange.
The series continues on Thursday (Nov. 7) with a 3:15 p.m. first pitch at The Park.