CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – Orange scored three times in the final two innings to claim a pitchers’ duel and even the Orange and Blue series with a 3-0 win on Thursday (Nov. 7).
Freshmen Morgan Murphy (Chesapeake, Va.) and Mackenzie Wooten (Windsor, Va.) combined for a four-hit shutout to lead Orange to the win. Murphy worked the first four innings, scattering three hits while striking out a pair. Wooten earned the win by tossing three scoreless frames to close the night. She struck out the side in the fifth and the only blemish in her line was a bunt single in the seventh.
At the plate, Kate Covington (McLean, Va.) launched a solo home run to highlight a 1-for-3 day at the plate for the junior.
After mustering just one hit through the first five innings, Orange finally scratched across a run in the sixth. Abigail Barber (Providence Forge, Va.) led off the frame with a single but was erased on a fielder’s choice. Katie Goldberg (Atlanta, Ga.) swiped second base with two outs and scampered home on Tori Gilbert’s (Mechanicsville, Va.) bloop single to right field.
• Gilbert’s flare just snuck inside the right field line to open the scoring in the sixth inning.
• Covington tagged a line drive over the left field wall to lead off the seventh and extend Orange’s lead to 2-0.
• Murphy followed three batters later with a ringing double to right to cap the scoring.
• Sophomore Aly Rayle (Herndon, Va.) carried a no-hitter through four for Blue before giving way to Riley Wilkinson (Fairfax Station, Va.).
• Wilkinson was charged with the loss, allowing one run on four hits in her 2 2/3 innings of work.
• Bailey Winscott (Clinton, Miss.) went 2-for-3 with a double at the top of the Blue order.
• Madi Traver (Coppell, Texas), Molly Keshin (New Canaan, Conn.) and Katie Haney (Burkeville, Va.) all had 1-for-3 days for Blue.
• Rachel Keshin (New Canaan, Conn.) singled to round out the hitting for Orange.
Orange and Blue will meet for a decisive game three on Friday (Nov. 8). First pitch is set for 3 p.m. at The Park.