CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – Blue used a six-run second inning and a five-run sixth to power a 12-4 victory in the rubber match of Virginia softball’s Orange and Blue Series.
Sophomore Donna Friedman (Orange, Calif.) went 1-for-4 at the plate with four RBI. She roped a base-clearing double in the sixth inning to break open a 7-4 game. She also added an RBI-groundout in the second inning.
Sophomore Aly Rayle (Herndon, Va.) got it done with the bat and in the circle, adding a three-run double of her own. She made the start for Blue and allowed just a single run in her outing.
Trailing 1-0, Blue erupted for a six-run second inning. Madi Traver (Coppell, Texas) opened the frame with a single and Molly Keshin (New Canaan, Conn.) beat out a bunt single to put to aboard. A walk loaded the bases for Rayle to deliver a screaming line drive to the left field wall to put Blue up 3-1.
Savana Avilla (Phoenix, Ariz.) followed with an RBI-triple before both she and Arizona Ritchie (Stafford, Va.) scored to take a 6-1 lead.
• Orange opened the scoring in the top of the first with singles from Abigail Barber (Providence Forge, Va.) and Tori Gilbert (Mechanicsville, Va.).
• Orange clawed back into the game with a three-run fifth inning. Morgan Murphy (Chesapeake, Va.) and Barber had RBI-singles in the inning.
• Katie Haney (Burkeville, Va.) roped an RBI-double for Blue in the bottom of the fifth.
• Blue scored five times on three hits in the sixth, keyed by Friedman’s three-run double.
• Avilla finished 2-for-3 with a triple, RBI and two walks at the top of the Blue order.
• Traver went 2-for-3 with a walk and RBI.
• Seven of Blue’s nine batters had an RBI.
• Haney finished 2-for-3 with an RBI-double for Blue.
• Barber went 2-for-4 with an RBI to top the Orange order.
• Gilbert went 2-for-3 with an RBI for Orange.
• Madi Wilson (Chesapeake, Va.) went 2-for-3 with a double.