CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The Virginia men’s and women’s squash teams will compete at the Mid-Atlantic Squash Championships beginning on Friday (Feb. 7) in Washington D.C. Matches for both tournaments will be played at Squash on Fire or at George Washington’s Matthew J. Grossman Squash Courts.
Both Cavalier teams enter the weekend as the No. 2 seed for the tournament. The women will open competition on Friday against fourth-seeded Franklin & Marshall at 6 p.m. at the Matthew J. Grossman Squash Courts. The men’s team will play seventh-seeded Dickinson at 5:45 p.m. at Squash on Fire.
How to Follow
Fans can watch the matches at Squash on Fire through a live stream, linked at VirginiaSports.com. Updates throughout the championship will be provided on the team’s official Twitter account (@UVASquash).
The women’s team will play in a round robin tournament against Drexel, George Washington, Franklin & Marshall and Dickinson. The women’s team will open the tournament competing against Franklin & Marshall on Friday at 6 p.m., before facing George Washington at 9:45 a.m. and Dickinson at 6 p.m. on Saturday. The Cavaliers will close the tournament with a 10 a.m. Sunday match against Drexel.
The men’s team will play in a seven-team bracket against Drexel, George Washington, Franklin & Marshall, MIT, Navy and Dickinson. Virginia will open play against Dickinson on Friday at 5:45 p.m. The winner of that match will face the winner between Navy and George Washington, while the two losing teams will play against each other. Both matches will be played at 12:15 p.m. on Saturday.
• Virginia enters the weekend ranked eighth nationally on the men’s side and 10th nationally on the women’s side. The Cavalier men hold a 14-4 record, while the women’s team is 11-5 this season.
• Drexel leads both sides of competition, ranking sixth on the men’s side with a 9-5 record, while the women’s team ranks eighth with a 9-4 record.
• The George Washington men’s (8-8) and women’s (5-12) squash teams rank 12th and 14th, respectively, while the Franklin & Marshall men’s (14-4) and women’s (7-6) teams rank 14th and 18th, respectively.
• The Dickinson men’s team (5-10) ranks 24th, while the women’s team (4-8) ranks 23rd.
• The men’s championship will also feature No. 17 MIT (13-6) and No. 18 Navy (7-11).
The Conference Championship
• The Cavaliers won last year’s Mid-Atlantic Tournament as both teams finished the weekend undefeated.
• The women’s team recorded a pair of 9-0 wins, defeating Franklin & Marshall and Dickinson, before topping George Washington 7-2 to win the tournament.
• The Cavalier men’s team battled through three 5-4 wins against MIT, George Washington and Franklin & Marshall. The team defeated Dickinson 8-1.
• Since last season, the conference has expanded to include Navy and Drexel.
Facing the Female Diplomats
• This is the second meeting between the Cavalier women’s team and Franklin & Marshall this season. Virginia defeated the Diplomats, 9-0, to open the season.
• Virginia is 4-0 in the series against Franklin & Marshall, winning three of the four meetings 9-0.
• The Cavaliers faced the Diplomats during last year’s tournament as the two teams opened competition against each other. Virginia won that meeting 9-0.
Facing the Red Devils
• The Cavaliers recorded their second win in the series against Dickinson last month (Jan. 19) to move to 2-1 all-time against the Red Devils.
• Virginia won the regular-season meeting against Dickinson, 8-1, defeating the Red Devils at Dickinson’s Kline Squash Center.
• The two teams competed during the Mid-Atlantic Tournament last year with Virginia recording an 8-1 win.
Friday, Feb. 7:
|2:30pm||F&M vs Dickinson||GW Courts|
|2:30pm||Drexel vs GW||GW Courts|
|6:00pm||Drexel vs Dickinson||GW Courts|
|6:00pm||UVA vs F&M||GW Courts|
Saturday Feb. 8:
|9:45am||Drexel vs F&M||Squash on Fire|
|9:45am||UVA vs GW||Squash on Fire|
|6:00pm||UVA vs Dickinson||GW Courts|
Sunday, Feb. 9:
|10:00am||UVA vs Drexel||Squash on Fire|
|10:00am||GW vs F&M||GW Courts|
|1:00pm||GW vs Dickinson||GW Courts|
Friday, Feb. 7:
|5:45pm||GW vs Navy||Squash on Fire|
|5:45 p.m.||UVA vs. Dickinson||Squash on Fire|
|8:30pm||F&M vs MIT||GW Courts- first available|
Saturday, Feb. 8:
|12:15pm||Drexel vs Winner of F&M/MIT||Squash on Fire|
|12:15pm||Winner of UVA/Dickinson vs.
Winner of GW/Navy
|Squash on Fire|
|12:15pm||Loser of UVA/Dickinson vs.
Loser of GW/Navy
|BYE||Loser of F&M/MIT|
Sunday, Feb. 9:
|10:00am||Final||Squash on Fire|
|10:00am||3/4 Playoff||GW Courts|
|1:00pm||Consolation Finals||GW Courts|