CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The Virginia men’s and women’s squash teams will send seven athletes to the College Squash Association (CSA) Individual Championships at Pennsylvania’s Penn Squash Center in Philadelphia. Competition will run from Friday (March 6) to Sunday (March 8).
The CSA will provide a live stream for matches played on courts 1-6. A link to the stream and live scoring can be found at VirginiaSports.com. Updates throughout the tournament will be provided on the team’s official Twitter account (@UVASquash).
Freshmen Aly Hussein (Cairo, Egypt) and Omar El Torkey (New Cairo, Egypt) will compete for the men’s national title, playing in the Pool draw, the A division of the men’s individual championship, while sophomore Emma Jinks (Stratford, Prince Edward Island) received an invite to the Ramsay division, the women’s top draw. By qualifying for the top division of the individual championships, all three athletes are in contention to earn All-America honors.
Additionally, senior Julia Thompson (Newtown Square, Pa.), junior Giovanna Veiga de Almeida (Belo Horizonte, Brazil) sophomore Mandy Haywood (Christ Church, Barbados) and sophomore Sydney Maxwell (Toronto, Ontario) will compete in the Holleran Cup, the women’s B division.
The A Draw
• Three Cavaliers earned a spot in the A division of the tournament.
• This is the first season since the Cavaliers were named a varsity program in 2017 that Virginia has had someone compete in the A division.
• Jinks, the No. 1 for the Virginia women’s team, concluded the year with a 12-9 record including winning two matches in the CSA Team Championships. She will compete in the top division for the first time in her career. She finished as the Holler Cup South runner-up last season.
• Hussein concluded the regular season with a 17-1 record, winning 11 matches at the No. 1 position and six matches while playing at No. 2.
• El Torkey went 15-2 during the season, competing in the top two of the Cavaliers lineup. He won six matches at the top of the ladder and nine matches while playing at No. 2.
The Holleran Cup
• Virginia will send three athletes to the Holleran Cup.
• Thompson will compete in her first CSA Individual Championships. She enters the weekend with a 10-5 individual record for the season.
• Haywood will compete in the Holleran Cup for the second consecutive year. She won the Holleran Cup South consolation finals at last year’s tournament. She holds an individual record of 10-9 for the year.
• In her first season with the Cavaliers, Maxwell went 12-8 during the regular season. This is her first appearance at the CSA Individual Championships
• Almeida will compete for the first time at the individual national championships. She finished the year with a 5-3
First Round Schedule
A-Draw / Pool Trophy
• 11 a.m. |Omar El Torkey vs. Marwan Tarek (Harvard) – Court 1
• 1:20 p.m. | Aly Hussein vs. Samuel Scherl (Harvard) – Court 5
A Draw / Ramsay Cup
• 10:15 a.m. | Emma Jinks vs. Lucy Beercroft (Yale) – Court 1
B Division / Holleran South
• 9:40 a.m. | Sydney Maxwell vs. Haley Jefferson (Williams) – Court 3
B Division / Holleran East
• 11 a.m. | Giovanna Veiga de Almeida vs. Ciara Richards (Drexel) – Court 8
• 11 a.m. | Julia Thompson vs. Andrea Toth (Princeton) – Court 9
B Division / Holleran West
• 12:20 p.m. | Mandy Haywood vs. Audrey Berling (F&M) – Court 9