CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – Virginia softball (8-12, 0-6 ACC) hosts Bucknell (8-10, 0-0 Patriot) for a Tuesday (March 10) doubleheader matinee beginning at noon at Palmer Park. Game two of the twin bill will begin approximately 30 minutes following the conclusion of game one.
Both games of the doubleheader will air on ACCNX. ACCNX is available to authenticated subscribers of ACC Network via the ESPN App. Links for the live stream and live stats are available on VirginiaSports.com.
Eight bays in JPJ South (formerly U-Hall lot) will be reserved for softball and/or baseball patrons on a first-come, first-served basis. Overflow parking will be available on a first-come, first-served basis in the JPJ South and JPJ West lots and JPJ Parking Garage.
• Virginia continues its nine-game homestand by hosting Bucknell in a midweek doubleheader.
• Tuesday is the only time this season Virginia is scheduled to play a midweek doubleheader.
• The twin bill marks the first meeting between the Cavaliers and Bison.
• The Cavaliers are looking to snap an eight-game skid. Virginia is also in search of its first victory in the new Palmer Park.
HOO TO WATCH
• Sophomore Aly Rayle (Herndon, Va.) returned from a brief injury absence over the weekend and fanned eight Hokies on Friday night.
• On Sunday, she allowed just two hits in 5 1/3 innings of work.
• Rayle leads the Virginia staff with 51 2/3 innings of work and a 3.12 ERA. Opponents hit just .197 off the right-hander.
A NEW FOE
• Virginia and Bucknell are meeting for the first time on the softball diamond.
• Virginia is 5-1 all-time against Patriot League opponents.
• The Cavaliers have already faced two Patriot League teams in Boston University and Holy Cross this season.
• Virginia opened its new stadium, Palmer Park, on March 3 against JMU. Palmer Park is named after former Cavalier pitcher Lisa Palmer and her mother Fran. The Palmers were the lead contributors to the stadium project.
• The Cavaliers hosted a dedication ceremony for Palmer Park prior to Friday’s series opener against the Hokies.
• Palmer Park is a state-of-the-art facility which houses all of the Cavaliers’ needs. Within the confines of Palmer Park is the team locker room and lounge, athletic training room, meeting rooms and a 60’x60′ indoor facility.
• Lisa Palmer pitched for the Cavaliers from 1986-89, establishing school records in wins (74), innings pitched (861.2), complete games (102) and games started (112). She still holds the UVA single-season records for wins (27), shutouts (14) and assists (221).
Virginia softball season and single-game tickets are on sale now. All seating is general admission in 2020 with season tickets just $45. UVA faculty and staff may purchase season tickets for $35. Single-game tickets are available for $5 in advance or $8 at the box office on game day.
Fans may purchase tickets online at UVATix.com or through the Virginia Athletics Ticket Office in Bryant Hall at Scott Stadium. The ticket office is open Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. until 5 p.m. for in-person or telephone purchases. Telephone purchases can be made by calling 1-800-542-UVA1 (8821) or locally at 434-924-UVA1 (8821).
CLEAR BAG POLICY
Virginia athletics’ clear bag policy and entry procedures will be in place for all home softball games at Palmer Park this season. More information on the clear bag policy and other Palmer Park policies can be found here.
Virginia concludes its homestand by hosting North Carolina in a three-game ACC series beginning Friday (March 13).