CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The No. 16 Virginia women’s lacrosse team opens the 2021 season hosting East Carolina (1-0) on Monday, Feb. 15 at 4 p.m. The contest will be played at the Lower Turf practice field due to field conditions at Klöckner Stadium.
The Lower Turf practice field is not set-up to accommodate spectators. Fans are not permitted to attend, which includes standing room outside the fence.
HOW TO FOLLOW
Live stats will be available on VirginiaSports.com and fans can follow along via Virginia women’s lacrosse Twitter (@UVAWomensLax) for in-game updates.
- Virginia returns 20 players that appeared in 2020, including seven starters.
- Virginia opened the 2020 season 4-0, with all four wins coming on the road. UVA finished the season 5-3 before it was cut short due to COVID-19.
- Redshirt junior Ashlyn McGovern (Phoenix, Md.) was named an Inside Lacrosse Preseason All-American honorable mention and Preseason All-ACC At-Large. McGovern is the top-returning attacker for UVA, scoring 15 goals in eight games last season.
- Redshirt senior Charlie Campbell returns in goal for the Cavaliers. Campbell has 266 career saves.
- UVA’s three captains for the 2021 season are seniors Halle Graham (Rockville, Md.), Jalen Knight (Peachtree City, Ga.) and Gwin Sinnott (Richmond, Va.).
- The Cavaliers added graduate transfer Meredith Chapman (Apex, N.C.), a defender from High Point, along with a highly touted freshman class that includes five Under Armour All-Americans.
- East Carolina opened the season with a 16-14 win over Furman Feb. 12.
- Megan Pallozzi led the Pirates with five goals in the game and Mackell Schultes added four goals.
- Nicole Legar had two goals and a team-high four assists, along with eight draw controls.
- Ashley Vernon made 13 saves in goal for ECU.
- ECU was 5-3 in 2020 before the season ended early.
This will be the first ever meeting between ECU and UVA.
Virginia travels to No. 14 Richmond on Friday, Feb. 19 for a 4 p.m. contest at Robins Stadium in Richmond, Va.