CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The Virginia Cavaliers (5-2) return to action on Saturday afternoon, hosting the Robert Morris Colonials (3-3) at Klöckner Stadium. Faceoff is set for 3 p.m. UVA is ranked No. 9 in this week’s USILA coaches and Inside Lacrosse media polls.
HOW TO FOLLOW
Live stats will be available at VirginiaSports.com. The game will be broadcast live on ACCNX. John Freeman will call the play-by-play and Doug Tarring will join the broadcast as the analyst. ACCNX can be viewed on the WatchESPN app, or by logging onto ESPN.com/watch for participating TV providers that carry the ACC Network. For more information on how to get the ACC Network, visit GetACCN.com.
• Matt Moore needs three goals to become the 19th Cavalier in program history to reach 100 career goals.
• Charlie Bertrand has at least one goal in all 65 game of his college career. His active goal streak and point streak are the longest in the nation among all DI players. His 65 goal-scoring streak is a collegiate record spanning DI, DII and DIII lacrosse.
• UVA is No. 12 in the nation in caused turnovers per game (9.86), No. 2 in the nation in opponent clearing percentage (.699) and No. 2 in the nation in ground balls per game (45.29)
• FO Petey LaSalla is No. 13 in the nation with 7.57 ground balls per game and No. 16 in faceoff winning percentage with a 63.9 percent success rate.
• Payton Cormier leads UVA with 17 goals in just seven games. He had 12 goals in UVA’s six games in 2020. Cormier also has at least a hat-trick in seven of his 13 career games.
• Saturday marks the fourth all-time meeting between Robert Morris and Virginia in men’s lacrosse.
• UVA leads the all-time series, 3-0, where all the meeting have been played at Klöckner Stadium.
• Last time UVA and RMU met was in the first round of the 2019 NCAA Tournament. UVA’s 19-10 win in the rain was the start of the Cavaliers’ run to the program’s sixth NCAA title.
• In the 2019 meeting the Cavaliers received career nights from Mikey Herring and Ryan Conrad, two seniors playing their final career games at Klöckner Stadium. Herring scored a career-high six goals and Conrad scored a career-high five goals, as the duo was responsible for 11 of UVA’s 19 goals. Matt Moore also added a career-high seven assists and a career-high nine points.
• Andrew McMinn is in his 10th season at Robert Morris and has taken the Colonials to back-to-back NCAA Tournaments in 2018 and 2019 as champions of the NEC. RMU is playing the 2021 season as an independent in men’s lacrosse before joining the newly formed ASUN men’s lacrosse league for 2022. The rest of RMU’s sports joined the Horizon League last summer.
• Ryan Smith leads RMU with 21 goals, 13 assists and 34 points. Jimmy Perkins is second on the team with 13 goals and 20 points. Corson Kealey and Austin Popovich round out the top goals scorers with 12 and 10, respectively.
• RMU has utilized two goalies this year. Liam Rosenthal is saving 57.7 percent of shots and posting an 11.92 goals against average. Ben Savick is saving 41.7 percent of shots and posting an 18.24 goals against average.
Due to health and safety considerations, in addition to the current guidelines for sports venues set by the Commonwealth of Virginia, attendance for UVA home lacrosse competitions will be limited to the family of student-athletes and coaching staff until further notice.
UVA returns to ACC play on Saturday, March 27 at No. 8 Notre Dame. The ACC tilt will start at noon and be televised live on ESPNU.