CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The Virginia softball team (13-21, 9-16 ACC) continues to play on the road this weekend, traveling to face ACC foe Notre Dame (18-12, 9-10 ACC) in a four-game series at Melissa Cook Stadium. The series begins with a single game at 5 p.m. on Friday (April 16).
HOW TO FOLLOW THE ACTION
All four games of the weekend series with the Irish will be streamed on ACCNX which is available through the ESPN app to customers who have ACC Network as part of their subscription through their television provider. Links to the streams and live stats are available at VirginiaSports.com. Fans can also get updates by following the program’s official Twitter account (@UVASoftball).
THE WEEKEND SCHEDULE WITH NOTRE DAME
Friday, April 16 – 5 p.m.
Saturday, April 17 – 1 p.m./3 p.m. (DH)
Sunday, April 18 – 12 p.m.
LAST TIME OUT FOR THE HOOS
Virginia used a six-run second inning in the series finale at North Carolina to post a split of the weekend series on the road with the Tar Heels. In that game, the Cavaliers got home runs from Katie Goldberg (Atlanta, Ga.) and Kate Covington (McLean, Va.) as part of that six-run inning. The Cavaliers took game one and game four of the series with the Tar Heels to now post a split or win in three straight ACC series. Emma McBride (Magnolia, Texas) paced the team at the plate, hitting at a .500 clip on the weekend at North Carolina.
NOTING THE CAVALIERS
• Katie Goldberg leads the team with 17 runs scored, 22 RBI and six home runs. She’s hitting .298 on the year.
• Goldberg also leads the team with eight multiple-hit games and eight multiple-RBI games.
• Arizona Ritchie and Emma McBride have the two longest active hit streaks with six and four games, respectively.
• Abby Weaver has found a way on base lately for the Hoos, reaching base safely in eight consecutive games.
• Mikayla Houge and Aly Rayle lead the squad in the circle with a combined 77 strikeouts.
• Houge holds a 2.91 ERA in 69.2 inning of work, while Rayle has a 2.68 ERA in 34.0 innings pitched.
A LOOK AT THE IRISH
• Abby Sweet leads the Irish offense with a .484 batting average this season and an .832 slugging percentage.
• Karina Gaskins has a team-leading seven home runs, while Katie Marino leads the Irish with 22 RBI.
• Emma Clark is the leading base stealer as she has gone 19-for-22 on steal attempts this season.
• Payton Tidd has a team-leading 84.0 innings pitched with a 2.42 ERA and a 9-5 record.
• Alexis Holloway has a team-leading 77 strikeouts and a 2.92 ERA trough 74.1 innings of work.
THE SERIES WITH NOTRE DAME
Virginia and Notre Dame have faced each other 20 times with the Irish leading the series 17-3. The three wins for the Cavaliers came in the 2017 season when Virginia swept the three-game set at Notre Dame.
UP NEXT FOR THE HOOS
Virginia will play six games next week, beginning with a home game against Radford ta 6 p.m. on Tuesday (April 20). The Cavaliers will then go face Liberty in a 4 p.m. contest on Wednesday (April 21) before returning home to host Syracuse in a four-game series that begins on Friday (April 23).