CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The Virginia women’s lacrosse team (8-8) opens play in the 2021 NCAA Tournament against UConn (12-6) on Friday, May 14 at 5 p.m. at Arlotta Stadium in Notre Dame, Ind.
HOW TO WATCH
The game will be streamed live on ESPN3. Links for live stats and the live stream are available on VirginiaSports.com. Fans can follow @UVAWomensLax on Twitter for in-game updates.
UVA IN THE NCAA TOURNAMENT
- Virginia is competing in the NCAA Tournament for the 25th consecutive season, marking every year of head coach Julie Myers’ tenure that the tournament has been played. The 2020 NCAA Tournament was canceled due to COVID-19.
- The Cavaliers are 37-29 all-time in the NCAA Tournament, which ranks fourth for the most wins.
- UVA’s 32 years of appearing in the tournament are second-most all-time to Maryland’s 35.
- In 2019, Virginia was the 6-seed overall and advanced to the NCAA Quarterfinals before falling to North Carolina.
- Virginia is coming off a two-week break after the ACC Championships. The Cavaliers fell 16-12 to BC in the ACC Quarterfinals.
- UVA’s attacking trio of senior Taylor Regan (Larchmont, N.Y.), redshirt junior Ashlyn McGovern (Phoenix, Md.) and junior Lillie Kloak (Ridgewood, N.J.) have combined for 82 goals. Kloak has scored multiple goals in 11 games to lead the team. McGovern has a team-high six hat tricks and Regan leads the team with six multiple-assist games.
- Graduate student Meredith Chapman (Apex, N.C.) is third in the ACC in ground balls per game (2.25) and sixth in caused turnovers per game (1.31).
- Junior Annie Dyson (Alexandria, Va.) is a Tewaarton Top 25 nominee, doing it all for UVA with 21 goals, 31 ground balls, 51 draw controls and 13 caused turnovers.
- Redshirt senior Charlie Campbell (Lloyd Harbor, N.Y.) ranks 17th nationally with 136 saves.
- This will be the first meeting between Virginia and UConn.
- The Cavaliers are 10-3 against current Big East teams (Georgetown, 8-3; Villanova, 2-0).
- UVA is 5-1 against non-conference opponents this season.
- UConn is coming off a 13-7 loss to Denver in the Big East Championship.
- The Huskies are averaging 14.44 goals per game and 11.11 goals against.
- Sydney Watson leads UConn and ranks ninth in the NCAA with 8.31 draw controls per game. Watson also leads the team in goals (53).
- Lia LaPrise has a team-high 76 points on 36 goals and 40 assists.
- Goalkeeper Landyn White is sixth in the NCAA with 154 saves and has a team-high 48 ground balls.
The winner of Friday’s contest will advance to the NCAA Second Round to play the winner of 5-seed Notre Dame and Robert Morris on Sunday, May 16 at 1 p.m. in Notre Dame, Ind.