CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. — The Virginia volleyball team (3-2) lost to Winthrop (3-3) in Memorial Gymnasium on Saturday afternoon by a final score of 18-25, 20-25, 18-25. The Eagles posted 44 kills on the match, including a match-high 15 kills from outside hitter Nikkia Benitez, which was 12 more than the Cavaliers’ total of 32.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Winthrop’s 15-5 run in the opening set was too much to overcome. The Eagles led by as many as 10 (21-11) late in the set. Mary Shaffer and Brooklyn Borum posted four kills each to start the match.
- UVA Trailed 11-12 in the middle of the second, but a 7-1 run by the Eagles stretched their lead to eight. The Cavaliers cut their deficit to as little as four, but a Winthrop kill ended the set and put Eagles up 2-0 entering the break.
- Virginia could not get into a rhythm in the third as three consecutive Cavalier reception errors amid a 9-2 run by the Eagles put the set and match out of reach.
- Virginia middle blocker Alana Walker and right side hitter Mary Shaffer were named to the all-tournament team.
- For the tournament, Walker hit .308, registering 17 kills on 39 swings. Defensively, Walker averaged 1.13 blocks per set, good for second best on the team this weekend.
- Shaffer hit .277 after posting 20 kills on 47 swings and averaged a team-best 1.25 blocks per set in UVA’s pair of matches this weekend.
- The Cavaliers travel to Richmond, Virginia for the VCU Invitational (Sept. 9-11).
- Virginia is set to face the Rams on Friday at 4 p.m. and Ohio State at 2 p.m. on Saturday.
UVA TOURNAMENT #1 ALL-TOURNAMENT TEAM
- #11 Megan Kelly, Akron
- #3 Julia Brown, William & Mary
- #8 Alana Walker, Virginia
- #14 Mary Shaffer, Virginia
- #6 Jana Owens, Winthrop
- #21 Nikkia Benitez, Winthrop