CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The Virginia volleyball team (3-2) travels to the VCU Invitational this weekend (Sept. 10-11) to face the Rams on Friday at 4 p.m. and No. 4 Ohio State on Saturday at 2 p.m. This weekend’s road swing is the second of the season for the Cavalier volleyball team.
HOW TO FOLLOW THE ACTION
- Friday’s contest against VCU is slated to stream on ESPN+.
- Live stats will also be provided for both matches and links to both Friday’s live stream and live stats are available at VirginiaSports.com.
- Fans can also get updates by following Virginia Volleyball’s official Twitter account (@UVAVolleyball).
LAST TIME OUT
- Last weekend, Virginia went 1-1 in its first of two home tournaments of the season … The Cavaliers won their first five-set match of the season in a come-from-behind win over Akron on Friday (Sept. 3), which was followed by a three-set loss to Winthrop on Saturday (Sept. 4).
- For the second weekend in a row, Cavaliers’ right side hitter Mary Shaffer was named an all-tournament selection … Last weekend, Shaffer hit .277 and averaged 2.50 kills per set and a team-leading 1.25 blocks per set.
- Joining Shaffer on the all-tournament team was middle blocker Alana Walker, a transfer from Northwestern … Walker hit .308 and averaged 2.43 kills per set and 1.13 blocks per set in last weekend’s tournament.
- Virginia leads the all-time series against VCU, 21-15 … The last two matchups in Richmond have been five-set wins for the Rams … UVA is currently 174-108 (.617) all-time against intrastate foes.
- Saturday’s matchup between the Cavaliers and No. 4 Ohio State is the first-ever meeting between the two programs.
VIRGINIA’S LAST RANKED WIN
- With Saturday’s matchup the fourth-ranked Buckeyes, Virginia is seeking its first win over a ranked opponent since defeating then-No. 25 Florida State in five sets (25-18, 25-13, 18-25, 19-15, 16-14) on Oct. 31, 2010.
CAVALIERS WELCOME HEAD COACH SHANNON WELLS
- On April 26, 2021, Virginia Director of Athletics Carla Williams announced the hiring of Shannon Wells as the ninth head volleyball coach in program history.
- Wells came to UVA having spent the last seven seasons at Florida, including the last four seasons in which she served as Associate Head Coach (2017-20).
- While at Florida, Wells guided the Gators to seven consecutive NCAA tournament appearances and achieved a record of 184-33 (.848).