CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The Virginia men’s soccer team (2-2-1, 0-1-1 ACC) travels to No. 17 Virginia Tech (2-1-2, 0-1-0 ACC) on Friday night for a 7 p.m. start in the Commonwealth Clash presented by Smithfield.
The match will be broadcast on ACC Network with Dalen Cuff (play-by-play) and Michael Lahoud (analyst) on the call.
Game Coverage: Links for the live stream for ACC Network subscribers and in-game live stats are available on VirginiaSports.com. Fans can also follow the Virginia men’s soccer official twitter account (@UVAMenSoccer) for in-game updates.
- Virginia played UNC Greensboro to a 0-0 draw on Tuesday night.
- This will be the first true road game of the season for the Cavaliers. UVA played a neutral site match against then-No. 11 Maryland on Sept. 6.
- UVA is 0-1-0 in ACC contests, previously falling to Syracuse 3-1 on Sept. 10.
- Freshman defender Paul Wiese is third in the ACC in assists with four.
- Goalkeeper Holden Brown recorded his second shutout of the season against UNCG, making four saves.
- Friday’s match will be the 53rd meeting between Virginia and Virginia Tech.
- UVA leads the all-time series 42-4-6 and is 15-2-6 under head coach George Gelnovatch.
- Virginia won the last meeting 2-0 on March 19, 2021. Kaya Ignacio and Kevin Ogudugu scored UVA’s two goals in the win.
- The teams played three times in 2020-21, with one ending in a tie and each team recording a win.
- The first meeting was a 1-1 draw at Virginia Tech on Oct. 14, 2020, and the Hokies won, 1-0 in Charlottesville on Nov. 6.
ABOUT VIRGINIA TECH
- Virginia Tech is coming off a 1-0 loss at No. 19 Duke on Saturday, Sept. 11. It was the first loss of the season for the Hokies.
- Landon Ameres leads the team with three goals and Sivert Haugli has two.
- Five other players have scored goals for Virginia Tech this season.
- Goalkeeper Ben Martino leads the ACC in saves (22) and saves per game (5.50).
COMMONWEALTH CLASH PRESENTED BY SMITHFIELD
The Commonwealth Clash, originally called the Commonwealth Challenge (2005-2007), has been a part of the UVA-Virginia Tech rivalry since 2014. It was an all-sports points-based program with the Commonwealth Clash trophy presented to the winning school each year for its dominance in head-to-head competitions.
Virginia plays at James Madison on Tuesday, Sept. 21 at 7 p.m. in Harrisonburg, Va.